Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
west_gardener

Remember the Postman.

west_gardener
12 years ago

Our postman is retiering after 30 years on our beat. I would like to give him something, but I don't know what.

Any suggestions?

Comments (10)

• lindac
    11 years ago

A gift certificate to a restaurant in the town where he lives.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Almost any kind of a gift card would be appreciated, especially one that could be used anywhere, like an American Express, Visa, MasterCard, etc.

• mjmercer
    11 years ago

You might want to check on post office regulations before you decide what to give him. I think it's actually illegal for mail carriers to accept cash gifts. But of course, that leaves a world of other gift possibilities. :o)

Karen

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

Along with a gift card (I agree that's what is likely to be most appreciated), a thank you letter that mentions the instances when he went "beyond the call of duty".

If you know his hobby/avocation, a card for something in that interest would feel more special. To be honest, I don't really remember which who gave me restuarant/generic gift cards at my retirement; I will never forget the ones who got together and gave me a gift card for my favorite plant nursery and another giftcard for a local fabric shop!

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for your suggestions. I think I'll go with a special "thank you card". I'm a little worried about giving him anything worth any money, as mjmercer mentioned.
    He has worked so hard that I don't want to do anything to jinx his tetirement.

• mawheel
    11 years ago

Maybe a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies to go with the card would be O.K. I know it would be fine with me, if I were the recipient! :>)

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On the last day of our postman's delivery, we gave him a thank you card and a present. We thanked him for his excellent job and he said it was a pleasure to serve us all these years. We shook hands and wished each other good luck.
    Since then, we have not had a mail delivery or anyone pick up our mail from the mailbox.
    No matter how big an agency or a business, and individual can make a big difference.

• kathyjane
    11 years ago

Maybe that's their new way of doing things now, the person retires and so does the route.

---That is absurd how they just forgot you folks!
    Are your neighbours getting any deliveries?

• Mrobbins
    11 years ago

How great that you could thank him and honor him. I get the shivers, though, to think that postal service might end like this, through attrition! Please keep us updated. I hope you get your mail soon.

• west_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I received some mail yesterday, it was after 5pm, so I don't know who actually delivered the mail because I don't think the PO delivers after 5pm. Last week my neighbor next door received some mail, but it was not his so he walked it down the block and delivered it himself.
    I received some mail today, but the flyers from the local stores were not included.
    Oh, I do miss our mailman.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions