Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sometimes I wonder????

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 22:13

Sometimes I wonder about the education of some posters. I go to a geneolgy forum from time to time..

There was this thread about so many Americans having Native Americans amoung their ancestors.

One poster just sort of pooh-poohed the whole idea. She said that back in the 19th century it was not socially acceptable to marry Native Americans. Therefore that would have cut down on the breeding with them.

OH??? Think About how the West was back in the 1800s.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sometimes I wonder????

Nothing you can do about that but roll your eyes

o

There were few women that would venture into the wild west so the men found wives among the natives, just as has been the case in many countries the world over when war or exploration happens. We likely have more ancestors from slightly different peoples to very different peoples as a result.

The title of the thread made me think of the opening line of this song...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stardust

o

By the 1800s there was already two hundred years of 'mingling' going on, and it started on the Eastern Seaboard when caucasians were the minority and often dependent on Indians to survive. Much of that 'mingling' happened before the push to the West, with the Eastern tribes before the great displacements. There were great pockets of those populations through Appalachia who stayed, relatively intact in obscurity as relocations happened and their roots to the old nations maintained soley through oral tradition. The census never even had the capacity to define native heritage until the roles were officially taken. So many families who mention stories of native heritage probably do have some, especially if they can trace their lineage in this country back early enough. Yes........it's an eye roller. My aunt was born on an Eastern reservation and I asked her btw if it offended her when someone referred to as Indian, instead of Native American and she just laughed and said Indian is easier to say and she was too old to bother changing it over to politically correct lingo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here