Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

I almost pity them, almost

gandle
11 years ago

Automated phone call from the local police dept. Two armed and dangerous escaped convicts from a Kansas penal institution have been spotted in the area. I would guess that 90% of the houses in town have some kind of a firearm and wouldn't be afraid to use it if they thought their property or life was endangered. I think a 12 guage might persuade someone that this wasn't a particularly safe place to be. Mine is handy.

Comments (15)

• lilosophie
    11 years ago

Keep it handy, George!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Better to have it and not need it... Hope that doesn't change, but good for you!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

I sure hope they get those guys before they get to your or anyone elses house. I don't know why the prison system, the only game in town, can't do what they are supposed to do, keep the prisoners in prison.
    After those guys are captured, and you feel safe, let the powers to be that know that you don't expect to be sitting in your own house with a "12 guage" doing the job they are supposed to do.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

Uh, oh.

Please keep us updated.

• gandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apparently they caught one. The double murderer is still on the loose. Why in the world would they be trying to keep a double murderer in a minumim security place.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Glad they caught at least one of them. Hope they catch the rest so you don't have to sit there with a "12 guage" just to keep your home safe.
    After your post, I googled the Nebraska penal system, and from what I can see they cry the same sad song as the CA prison system. Not enough money, over crowding etc...I've heard it, seen it, over and over again, here in CA.

A lot of the prisons are "private" enterprices, built for profit.
    "I don't know Why in the world would they be trying to keep a double murderer in a minumim security place."
    I don't know, but ask the people in charge.
    BTW, when I was working in the "hood", the choice of weapons in there were anything from a frozen fish to a uzi.

• meldy_nva
    11 years ago

*grin* at the frozen fish.

Don't discount the potential of anything frozen. I was in an argument once (back when I was very young, very stupid, and very very hot-tempered) and threw an ice cube at the idjet. Luckily it missed his head; bruised his shoulder so badly he couldn't lift his arm for a while.

Yes, I used to pitch for the neighborhood ball team and was considered to have a wicked fastball. It's a good thing I was out of practice ~ ice cubes can be as dangerous as a rock from a slingshot.

• krista_marie
    11 years ago

I once pitched a Datura seedpod at my now ex and he caught it in his hand. His skin broke out in painful,red,burning spots for a week.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

btw, If I had to get a weapon to defend myself here in the burbs, it would not be a "12 guage", too much fire power. The kick to the shoulder is tremendous, and if I miss the first time, I would not have enough time to recover for the second shot. I'd do a 45 or a 38 special.

• gandle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They caught the last one down in Kansas. Rather calm and dull again. You know, I really prefer it that way. Just like I am calm and dull.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

Whew.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Anyone remember the famous murder mystery where the couldn't find the murder weapon because it was an ice cicle?

I live about 3 miles from a minimum security facility.....and about the same distance from a maximum security facility.
    The minimum security place had fairly frequent escapees.....supposedly they were there for a few months before release. We had a cop killed one time by a couple of guys who escaped and tried to rob a supermarket.
    I know several people who work or have worked at the prison.....they all suffer from the stress.

• Janis_G
    11 years ago

I have a bunch of weapons including a shotgun, swords,
    pistols. My weapon of choice is my 38 special.

I can just see some poor guy breaking in, only to be met by
    a pissed off old woman wielding a pistol in one hand and
    hacking away with a sword in the other.

Quack, Quack, Quack, Quack.
    (my new version of lord luv a duck ! )

• anneliese_32
    11 years ago

My kids still claim that things get dangerous when mother puts anything she has in her hand down, but as back-up I have a 38 and a 45 as well as a shotgun. It has a kick, but you don't more than one shot.
    Everybody in our family has been at one time or the other activ in target shooting competitions, but nobody has even shot a rat.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

When I was very young, I took up target shooting. My specialty was a 22 semi automatic pistol. I competed with gun clubs, the military etc... But before I handled a gun, I took the NRA safety cource and I passed with flying colors.
    I've also shot all kinds of rifles, automatics, semi automatics and six shooters for that matter, but it was always with safety in mind.
    If I should take up a gun now, this many years later, I would take into account my age, my muscle mass, eye condition etc... and I would take lessons before I took up a wsapon.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions