Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 5/17

Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
Wed, May 18, 11 at 0:19

And on the subject of burning books: I want to congratulate librarians, not famous for their physical strength or their powerful political connections or their great wealth, who, all over this country, have staunchly resisted anti-democratic bullies who have tried to remove certain books from their shelves, and have refused to reveal to thought police the names of persons who have checked out those titles.

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media. The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.
Kurt Vonnegut (A Man Without a Country)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 5/17

The defenders of our libraries are the secret heroes. Having lived with "forbidden" literature I really appreciate them, especially the school librarians who still seem to be under the gun every time you turn around.
Thanks Lilo and Kurt Vonnegut.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 11 at 9:24

Anneliese, you and I both! That is why this quote so appealed to me

o

I agree with the quote. And I think librarians are special people.
After 911, I wondered what the he@@ terrorism was all about and I wanted to know more about it. My natural tendency was to go to the library and check out some books on the subject.However, there were factions in this country that wanted the names of everyone that checked out books on the subject.
It smelled like "Mckarthyism" to me.
I read that our library system was against turning over names, so I went down and checked out a couple of books.
I was under no illusion that my name would not come out at some point if the pressure on the library system became to great, or maybe not.
So thanks to the library system for standing up for the freedom to read books.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here