Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 5/21

Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 0:26

Love is where you find it. I think it is foolish to go around looking for it, and I think it can be poisonous. I wish people who are conventionally supposed to love each other would say to each other, when they fight, Please-a little less love, and a little more common decency.
Kurt Vonnegut

But by accident, not by cunning calculation, books, because of their weight and texture, and because of their sweetly token resistance to manipulation, involve our hands and eyes, and then our minds and souls, in a spiritual adventure I would be very sorry for my grandchildren not to know about.
Kurt Vonnegut (Timequake)

And from another source,, but fitting in

Whenever your inner life is clouded, your influence in the world is under a shadow. If you are fearful, you will be attacked; if you cloak genuine mysteries in dogma, opportunities for new insight will be lost. If you vacillate in upholding your principles, you will be tested. Yet, when you are firm and strong, the power of truth can break through even the most stubborn minds
The I Ching

Hope I didn't overdose you with my hero Kurt. I think he has a lot to say

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 5/21

I'll be a dedicated reader of anything of his you'd like to post, Lilo.

You made a very rainy, sullen past week seem a little brighter and a lot more interesting.
Thank you very much!

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 13:24

Thanks for a week of good quotes, Lilo.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 14:48

Been reading Kurt off and on since I was about 14 - that's the early 70's - and when much of what he wrote was on somebody's censorship list.

At a bookstore I used to frequent, the seller had a button: "I read banned books". My kind of gal.
Thanks Lilo

o

Thanks for a great week. Slaughterhouse Five is the book which really got me to read all the rest. It's rare that a writer and a reader experience the same day in history on opposite sides of the fence. He was closer.

o

(Timequake) is a new term for me. But the term fits my life span. Going from no tec to living in Silicon Valley, the most high tec society in the world in the span of some 50 years has at times produced a "timequake". I'm still learning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here