Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese_32

3 more days Derby week

anneliese_32
10 years ago

Can't wait for Sunday. While there is lots going during the days leading up to the Derby, I like it well enough watching some of the events on TV, but not when the circus is in my house, I am getting too old for that.
Right now my oldest son and his SO are here, ditto my husband's cousin and a friend and wife. Son and friends have friends here and everybody is coming and going and I don't know if I am coming or going.
Next year I find myself a hotelroom in the next county so that I can say that nobody is home during that time.

Comments (6)

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

I know what you mean. DH has a birthday this week-end and there will be people(including children) in and out of the house.
    I luv seeing them and I'm so glad they want to celebrate his BD with him, but we are not used to a lot of activity these days, so my nerves get plucked. Come Monday, we'll rest and listen to the quiet. Then start talking about how nice it was.
    Hang in there, and take some moments for yourself. I'll be thinking of you.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

My husband is from Louisville and while his parents were still living had a little house just down the street from Churchill Downs. We went to visit one year during the Derby because Robert said I needed to 'experience' it. Hah!

What a zoo. I awoke at the crack of dawn to the sound of small planes, helicopters, the rumble of big tour buses and posh limos. Later, we could sit on the porch and watch all of the women prance by in their big hats and high heels...we applauded one or two! Those same ladies would come straggling back, usually hat and shoes in hand, lol.

We watched the race on TV, but could hear the sound from the track. Pretty neat. And yes, Robert parked as many cars as possible in the yard ; the whole neighborhood did. Some sold hot dogs and cold drinks, too.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:23

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

LOL, rhizo_, I always thought of Robert as the "tree man", here at the GP. He used to explain about trees. I see that he also like to party, who knew.............Glad you posted.

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

I am always happy when the tribe shows up, but...but...but it gets a little too much after a day or so. Good thing, they are all late sleepers and I am an early rise, so I have a couple of hours to myself in the morning.
    And I am glad when they leave, so are Taffy and Sooty, they hate "evil cars" Maximus and Jasmyn are more socialized because they were born in the feed-store, lots of traffic and handling there.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

"Next year I find myself a hotelroom in the next county so that I can say that nobody is home during that time."

Ha! I used to do that. I'd call John over and when he came one step out of his office, I'd say, "I'm sorry, he's not in his office. May I take a message?". Heh.

Try to have a good time. I do that every party. I dread it, I drag myself through the motions, and promptly get overwhelmed when everyone comes in the door (I have five siblings, and we're all old enough to have children, so add to that spouses and kids, plus parents). I do enjoy myself and everyone always tells me they had a good time as they walk out the door. Then I clean up the mess, feeling sated that I've seen everyone and they left smiling. Humans are silly creatures, aren't we?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

West gardener, he's still the tree guy, but has always been a real character.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions