Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - San Juan, part 4

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

The sign tells you a lot. We did the tour once as organized by the cruise line. Doing it on your own is way cheaper. It's a neat tour and you get two free drinks. And, of course, you can purchase some product there. HOWEVER, if you are on a cruise be aware that the cruise lines with 'hold' your purchase for you on board and return it to you the last night of the cruise. They don't want you drinking cheaply, they want you to buy their liquor.

Comments (6)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The day that we were in San Juan was our 18th wedding anniversary. We did research before we left, seeking a place to eat lunch that would be reasonably priced and serve some local fare. We decided that Punto de Vista Restaurant would be the place. However, we had trouble locating it, even with a map.

We had left my favorite stop in San Juan, The Butterfly People and walked in the general direction of the place. But still we couldn't find it. Seeing our problem with the map and the looks of concern we had, a young man approached and asked if we needed assistance. We told him where we wanted to go and he said that he would take us there. If fact, he went there on a regular basis himself to get a cold soda pop. It was around a couple of corners and down the block, but he got us to the front door. And while we chatted there, one of the restaurant employees handed him his usual cold soda pop, his reward (plus our tip) for guiding us to the place.

This is their beverage menu. I found it interesting for the different pricing and the listings of all kinds of things about the beers. It was a small place, with tables set up outside. It is conveniently located near the cruise ship piers and the food was tasty and well presented. As we sat there, I noticed a steady stream of customers picking up their carry out orders. The locals like the food, too.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had done our shopping, walked a bit of the town, ate lunch and walked back to the ship. Many people, of course, stayed on shore much longer.

I will never forget my first visit to San Juan, it was my first cruise sometime in the late 1980s. What makes Old San Juan magical for me is the night time departure that cruise ships make when that is the embarkation port. The typical time is 10:00 or later, as many of the ships are going to St. Thomas only a few nautical miles away. By that time of night the city has settled down. When leaving the port, you sail past the fortress, which is lit up and spectacular!

18 years prior, I had taken my new wife to San Juan to begin her first cruise, she was smitten, too. Ah yes! San Juan will always have a spot in my heart as a wonderful place.

Here is my view as we left in the late afternoon.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And, here is another shot of Old San Juan as I moved my view from the fortress toward the old city's north shore.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

It looks like a wonderful place to stop and sight-see and enjoy the local culture. I am looking forward to the next leg of your cruise.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops, forgot to let you know that tomorrow we'll be on the island of St. Martin - a very unusual place.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

The fortress looks formidable and I can imagine what it would look like a night and illuminated.
    That is quit a beer selection and the prizes for the foreign ones are about the same as here. Looking forward to St. Martin.

Sponsored
More Discussions