Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Journal 23 May 2013

rob333 (zone 7b)
10 years ago

It's been so humid, you have to swim through the air, but today is a delight. Soft, gentle, blue skies. Nothing to belie the struggle that lies 679 miles south-southwest of here. Oklahoma is really on my mind, the weight of the soberness affecting my every move. There are such heroic stories! Those teachers are amazing. I realize they had no choice in having to be heroes, but they really rose to the occasion. Just one teacher Waynel Mayes (she's the one with the boy in the blue shirt sitting on the curb until his mom comes.), story below (from CNN). The thought of those little arms and legs never to be held or to run again, so I just can't stop hugging my boy. He stopped at my office on his way home since it's exam week for the middle school, and they're on half days. Last week, the high school had their exams and graduated. Michelle Obama spoke at his school's graduation. But I just can't stop hugging the boy. I was on the elevator with my boss and him, and I know it must've looked odd to my boss. Too many lives lost and way too many children. My heart is just breaking for them.

Life is getting better in the financial arena, but my parents are both ailing physically. Why is that? Can it not all be good all at one time? It'd be nice! We're slated to get together for Memorial Day and when mom asked what the menu was, I suggested ideas, somehow I got volunteered to do it all? But I did manage to get one person to bring deviled eggs and tea and another to bring potato salad. I'll work on the rest tomorrow or Satuday. My oldest brother will even be there. If he shows up. LF was only worried about dessert. Dessert? You know, it's a celebration, so you gotta have dessert! Yes, you gotta have dessert. Likely homemade ice cream and fixins. Grilling will be involved. I think pork chops and BBQ chicken with hot dogs for the "not so L" F.

I have to quit calling him LF, since he's almost up to my chin. Not much longer and he'll tower over me like everyone else does. I'll survive it and it'll be the one time I say I TOLD YOU SO! He's so worried he's not gonna be tall, but at the rate he's finally going, he will be. I think. I hope! He still knows he's not a baby, but he is my baby.

'I just got all the desks and I told the kids that we were going to play worms,' she told CNN's Anderson Cooper.

'I told them to get underneath the desks, and I put them two by two, and I said, OK, we're going to play our musical instruments, and we're going to play worms, and we're going to play as loud as we can.'

She didn't want the children to know what was going to happen.

She didn't want them to hear the roar of the storm.

'I told them to sing as loud as they could and if they got scared, they could scream,' she said.

'But keep playing, keep playing, keep playing.'

Afterward, Mayes was sitting outside on a curb with one of her students when his mom walked up. She was crying and hugged her son with her whole body, happy to finally have him in her arms.

Trenda Purcell had first gone to another place looking for him, but he wasn't there."

Here is a link that might be useful: her story-her video is on the left

This post was edited by rob333 on Thu, May 23, 13 at 9:58

Comments (5)

• mawheel
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Rob, thanks so much for posting your journal; you haven't done that for a long time. You are a good, sensitive person and it comes thru in your writing . (Your posts on HT are always thoughtful and kind, even when you totally and completely disagree with some one.

Have a good time with your family on Memorial Day.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have fun, thanks! I hope everyone enjoys their holiday.

I just noticed the forum is really lagging and thought I'd do something. It's all I know how to do.

Thank you for the HT comment. I'm in the same camp as Chase, Bill, marquest, and OhioMom and HG are getting to--gone. I try to keep us tied together, but it aint gonna happen. I think I agree with the derailed post. It's down to rival gangs these days.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Rob, I went over and read the post on the tornado, but I didn't dare post. I live in OKC and have been here for more than 25 years, so I was here for the 99 Moore tornado as well. I watched the tornado via livestreaming at work. I am on the north side of town so I was fairly safe although we had had tornadoes on my side of town on Sunday. As I was watching the coverage I was hoping most of the homes had storm shelters. A lot of houses in that area had been rebuilt and there were a lot of rebates offered on them. Even so, I was surprised the next morning to hear 101 people were found/walked out of their shelters. When you realize that 13,000 homes were destroyed, I thought it was amazing that there were so few deaths. I suspect that was because most people were at work.

In Oklahoma we have such good warning that we know days in advance to be vigilant and hopefully that means we have a plan. We also have daytime tornadoes. A vast majority of them here hit around late afternoon and early evening. When I hear stories of overnight tornadoes in other states THAT scares me. I have only had one tornado in my neighborhood and it mostly just skimmed the top of the trees, although it did suck open my back screen door.

The channel I was watching that day, the weather forecaster doing all the talking was watching his neighborhood be blown away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Damon Lane

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Rob, I went over and read the post on the tornado, but I didn't dare post. I live in OKC and have been here for more than 25 years, so I was here for the 99 Moore tornado as well. I watched the tornado via livestreaming at work. I am on the north side of town so I was fairly safe although we had had tornadoes on my side of town on Sunday. As I was watching the coverage I was hoping most of the homes had storm shelters. A lot of houses in that area had been rebuilt and there were a lot of rebates offered on them. Even so, I was surprised the next morning to hear 101 people were found/walked out of their shelters. When you realize that 13,000 homes were destroyed, I thought it was amazing that there were so few deaths. I suspect that was because most people were at work.

In Oklahoma we have such good warning that we know days in advance to be vigilant and hopefully that means we have a plan. We also have daytime tornadoes. A vast majority of them here hit around late afternoon and early evening. When I hear stories of overnight tornadoes in other states THAT scares me. I have only had one tornado in my neighborhood and it mostly just skimmed the top of the trees, although it did suck open my back screen door.

The channel I was watching that day, the weather forecaster doing all the talking was watching his neighborhood be blown away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Damon Lane

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry not to answer sooner, I was out. (((Lisa))). My heart truly goes out to you. It's good to "Moore strong", but I hate that you have to do it. You are likely built for that there. Be strong and call on us if you ever need!

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions