Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unexpected daytime visitors

Posted by anneliese_32 6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 15, 13 at 8:46

I keep a bowl of cat kibbles at the backdoor for those roaming neighborhood cats, the mockingbirds like them when other food is scarces and jays, blackbirds and the occasional chipmunk like them too. Of course the nightshift of cats, racoons and possums don't say no either.
Since about 4 weeks a racoon showed up before it got dark, then in early evening and the last couple of days around noon, There is nothing wrong, it's lively, rollypolly and a speed climber who then stretches out on an oak branch and watches what's going on in the neighborhood.

This morning around 8 AM, the possum also visited, might have done so before, I just did not see it. What's going on, those guys are supposed to be in bed!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unexpected daytime visitors

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 13 at 17:50

He--and all your other visitors--know a good restaurant when they find it. :>)

My neighbor also keeps a bowl of dry cat food on her patio for the cats who roam, but the black birds and blue jays seem to eat most of it. The cats are too cautious to appear in the daytime, but not the birds. They come and go in a steady stream. I'm not sure about raccoons, though; there may be some in the area, but it may be too developed for them. I haven't seen any, anyway.

o

I wonder if they have changed their habits, because we changed their habitat? They are trying to adjust.

o

Just found out why the racoon comes during the day. It is blind on the right eye and most likely does not see well at night. My husband has the same problem and hates to go anywhere at night unless it is well lit, since his depth perception is gone and his sight is worse at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here