Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Las Palmas, Canary Islands part 2

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

The missus and I rode the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus to the part of Las Palmas called Vegueta. This is the old part of Las Palmas, where the city was originally started.

I cannot translate, word for word, this sign; but, after a bit of research this is the basic thought. Juan Rejon founded the city in 24 June 1478. In 1492, Cristopher Columbus anchored in the the port and spent some time on his first trip to the Americas. He also stopped on his way back to the Spanish mainland.

This plaza and the church here were present when Cristobal Colon was here as it was the central portion of the original city. There is a building, now a museum (another picture coming up), that was erected in his honor in 1777.

Comments (15)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a view of the church on Plaza de San Antonio Abad. As this was not near shopping or restaurants, it was a peaceful setting. Notice the stone work in the plaza itself.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not a student of architecture, but this building is amazing. Notice that the center portion is the only symmetrical part of the structure. The windows and doors are all different. So many doors, was this originally apartments? I doubt it, for this is Casa de Colon (Columbus house) that was built in 1777 to honor Christopher Columbus. It is now a museum. Every time I look at this picture, I wonder a bit about how many people were involved with the design.

This post was edited by Jim-1 on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 17:12

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nearby, this is mounted on one of the buildings. You will probably understand some of what it says.

• lilosophie
    9 years ago

The building looks as tough it was designed and built by a committee and everyone's input was duly executed, interesting

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We walked the area on our own. A guide could have been contracted for a commentary on the tour. Or, you could do a bicycle tour of the old town. This picture is from the area near the Columbus museum, the fountain was a gathering place for people as they gathered the water for their homes.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Time to move on to the centerpiece of Vegueta, Gran Canaria Santa Ana Cathedral. The structure was begun in 1500, we did not go in due to time constraints; there is a fee to enter the Cathedral and its museum. You can have access to the towers.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This view is from the street that fronts the church. Notice that the tower has doors on it. Why? Or, are those oversize windows?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Immediately across from the Cathedral is Plaza Mayor of Santa Ana. At one end are these dog sculptures. The Canary Islands are not named after the bird, the bird was named after the islands. Canis is the basic name of dogs, and the Canary Islands are named after the dog. Dogs are included on the Canary Island flag.

These sculptures were created by Alfred Jacquemart and date from 1895.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is apartment living on Santa Ana Plaza in Las Palmas.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

But as you look closer, the lower level are business. The one in the center is a Tapas Bar. We got to love the way they present their food while we were in Spain. Again, interesting architecture.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As we continue looking around the plaza, I saw this building with some real cool windows.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also on the Santa Ana Plaza, opposite the Cathedral, is the old town hall.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I conclude today's presentation, I saw these school kids on the steps of the old town hall. We called to them and tried to get them to wave. What we got were smiles from most of them, and a couple turned away on purpose. This has become one of my favorite photos. Great smiles on these kids!

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

That's when time travel would come handy. How come it looks this like that; has it been modified or was it always this way? Who brought the first dogs to the islands? There must have been many to become the symbol of the country.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

I can see why you like the city. It is so interesting. Love the architecture , the plaza, water fountain and dog photos.
    They make me want to know more.

Sponsored
Rick's Renovations Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars41 Reviews
Chesterfield County's Full Service Renovation Company
More Discussions