Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - we're on our way part 1

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

You might have heard about all the neat things to do while on a cruise. There's gambling, eating, exploring new places, eating, reading, eating, etc.

On Holland America's ships there is a space set aside called The Greenhouse. This is their spa area. Heating chairs, hydrotherapy pool, massages, facials and more. As you might expect, the prices are not the same as you might pay in your own town. For instance, my local massage gal charges $50 for 60 minutes - I have been her client for quite a while. On the ship, a massage is only 50 minutes and the charge is about $130 (and up)! That 10 minute period is to try to sell you products and to allow the room to be utilized in perfect one-hour increments.

Today's pictures were all taken about 4:00 a.m. when most decent people were in their cabins asleep.

Comments (4)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One must have a reservation, allowing walk-ups is extremely rare. Generally the pricing is lower on days when the ship is in port and most passengers are away. Occasionally they feature packages that would include (for instance) three services for the price of two. Hair styling, manicure, pedicure, facials, etc. All for men and women. I experienced my first facial on a cruise ship!

Before the ship has departed the pier, there will be tours of the spa area. You can see all the areas and make a reservation for whenever you feel that you need the pampering. Many time slots for Formal nights are booked on that first day.

There will be information handed to you upon boarding and more information in your cabin. You can make your reservation in person or via phone. As in all purchases on board, you won't need cash, it will all go onto your cabin account and settled up at the end of the cruise.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Religious services are held aboard most cruise ships. Sometimes a passenger will volunteer to lead the service and other times there are people on board specifically to lead the services.

Holland America uses on of their meeting rooms. They have either names or letters of the alphabet to designate the location. Generally they are in the same area, so you won't get lost.

These rooms can be reserved for a special get together, for instance a place for a family reunion. We were in one for a group we were traveling with (about 80 of us) and the cruise line set up nibbles and beverages. Each ship has a special events coordinator. Contact the front desk (customer service desk or purser's desk) for more information. Or contact the cruise line before you get on board, they like the idea of making their passengers happy.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holland America also has a Game Room. If you want to play bridge or learn the game of bridge, there are get-togethers on most days at sea. All of the public events in these two rooms will be announced in the daily paper - Explorer on the Holland America Line ships. If no one has reserved the room and you want to play a game with others, just make you way in and get going.

There are no bars near the game room and meeting room.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    9 years ago

Thank you, Jim. So much good information in the event that I get to take a cruise.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions