Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - another day at sea.

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Here are some of the options for a day at sea as we cross the Atlantic (tomorrow, we will be in the Canary Islands):
7:30 a.m. Aerobics
9:00 a.m. Indoor cycling (additional fee)
10:00 a.m. Mahjong Players Meet
10:30 a.m. Maasdam Olympics
11:00 a.m. Making salsa
12:00 noon Team Trivia

OK, I'll pause here to cover a couple of these options. Maasdam has a culinary arts center. A decent sized auditorium with a stage and one of those over the chef mirrors. On sea days, there is some sort of demo, and there might even be two of them. In the evening, that venue is used for movies or other things.
Team Trivia is a Big Event on this kind of itinerary. It is held in the Crow's Next because there is lots of room there. Teams cannot be more than 6, nor less than 1. 20 questions, with some receiving extra points. I went a couple of times to participate, but mostly I sat off to the side and silently played with I pretended to read a book. I never counted, but my best estimate is that there were more than 30 teams involved. Team Trivia was held every day, including days in port. Holland America used to give away prizes for first place, but discontinued that several years ago. Now, all you get is a round of applause!
The Olympics were an interesting activity. There might be a ring toss, or nerf shooting, or whatever. There were about 20 diehards who attended this, at sea only, event. When I took this picture, they were putting for a score. Not too difficult for some situations, however we were cruising at 20 knots on a rolling ship - not as easy as on land.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions