Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not in my garden, 5/4/14

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 9:43

The Legend of Twin Rocks:

"Legend has it that one day, a chief of the village spotted many canoes with sails heading shoreward in their direction. Fearing an attack, the chiefs and village elders held a council to determine a course of action. They decided to build a reef to prevent a landing on their beaches. Not having the means to complete the task quickly enough, they asked for two young lovers to be the guides and protectors of the village by giving their lives. Two willing individuals were found.

That night a decree was sent to all who live at Kahali'i to remain indoors from sunset to sunrise without making any light or sound, on penalty of death. In the light of the new day, everyone went down to the shoreline where they were amazed to find the lovers gone, and in their place the gigantic rock formations at the entrance of the bay, attached to each other, as if on guard.

The chief informed the people that no canoe could not pass the treacherous currents swirling around the rocks unless allowed to do so by the guardians. The lovers and their offspring still stand today, sentinels at the end of the bay."

At Onomea Bay in Hawaii.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not in my garden, 5/4/14

Thanks for the picture and the legend.

o

Nice pic, Jim. I've seen the Twin Rocks, but never heard the legend before.
Thanks

o

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:10

A different view of the rocks.

o

Jim - you are just a great photographer. That picture should be printed and framed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here