Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's name our planet!

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 11 at 11:28

LF and I were talking yesterday, when it struck us, none of our astral bodies have "names". Our solar system is "the Solar system". Our planet is "Earth", our moon is "the moon". Why do all the other bodies get cool names like Venus or Io or Chiayi? Most of us would likely keep the tradition of names in our solar system by naming Earth after some god or godess. Probably Hephaestus (the God of technology, craftsman, etc., but also "lame") or Loki (the crazy god)? Our moon could be Eupheme (child of Aglaea and Hephaestus), the spirit of good omens.

What do you think? Why don't we have any names? It's like owning a cat named "cat", very utilitarian.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's name our planet!

Horrors!! You mean name our Good Earth after something heathen like an old greek god or goddess.

After naming all the constellations, outstanding stars etc. they probablly just ran out of names.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 31, 11 at 12:22

Oh, but the Earth has a name: Gaia and the moon is called Luna
and there are all different names depending on the culture naming them

o

:)

to both of you

o

Loki happens to be the trickster god of the Asgardians. Rumoured to be part frost giant. Earth is called midgard in norse mythology.

o

I figured if they switched between Greek and Roman, why not add Norse? So would you pick a different name than Gaia or Midgard, Michael? Those are rather cool. Wonder why astronmers don't use them more universally?

o
Venus and Mars are alright tonight

I don't know. How about just calling it Home? Norse mythology is a step child compared to Greek and Roman mythology. The only colleges that I know that offer Norse mythology as a class are in Wisconsin and Minnesota. There are plenty of other mythologies out there; we, in our culture, are biased to the Meditteranian based myths.

o

Funny? I studied all three concurrently. Backwards ol' Tennessee.

;)

o

This is the cache of a site that got too popular and went over the limited bandwidth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Names

o

I'm happy with the word "earth" in English and the word "Jord" in Norwegian. Both mean our planet earth. I like to have my feet planted firmly on the terra ferma then make my choice of the planets I'd like to explore.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 4:28

Terra. Always has been the name of Earth in stories where there is more than one home planet. Yes, Luna for the moon. Y'all gotta read more sci-fi, then you would be In The Know.

o

If I recall correctly, Terra is the latin word for Earth.

o

I think I'm more into latin than I'm into sci-fi, but I don't know much about either. This is an interesting post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra_firma

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here