Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Covered Bridges

meldy_nva
11 years ago

Isn't it too bad that they are out of style?

We just had a very short, very severe thunderstorm roll through the area. Listening to the radio, one (or more) of the high swooping bridges serving the I95/I495 intersection had weather-related delays stuttering traffic for miles. Yeh, there is no way I'd do any of those bridges in bad weather (feel free to call me chickn)~ something about peering over the chest-high railing at a 100-ft drop while taking the race-course slanted curves just makes my feathers shiver. Add wind, heavy rain and/or frozen precipitation and you can subtract me from the traffic.

We can send men to the moon, have real-time video-conversations with folks thousands of miles away, have a robot-driven car (okay that's still being perfected, but it's in sight), fresh strawberries in January, and so on. So why can't some of those brilliant engineering brains come up with a wind-brella type of covering for all these bridges to make them safer during storms?

Link is to some photos of the bridges. Or googgle in "Springfield Interchange" for info. Don't bother with a state - apparently this is the one and only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springfield Interchange

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions