Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A native Califorian blooms

Posted by lilosophie (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 14:10

It's California Lilac (Ceanothus)
this one is blooming by the hen-house.
They are all along the highway, looks so nice.
There is a blue variety, but it's more in the coastal forest area,
we have just the white ones here.
No water, trimming optional, what more can one ask?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A native Califorian blooms

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 14 at 14:45

How about fragrance?

o

It's a very subtle scent, noticeable more at night, not at all like the real lilac.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 14 at 16:31

That's a beautiful bush, Lilo. If it's never trimmed, does it just keep spreading and getting taller?

In my area of WV, 'Redbud' trees/bushes grow along the side of the interstate; at least that's where I see them. They just finished blooming, last week. The flowers last for about two weeks and they're a lovely sight. The funny thing--to me, anyway--is that they're called 'Redbuds', but the flowers are a deep fuschia!, just like the little 'purple finches' have deep red breasts.

o

Wondering if they would bloom here, the bush looks lovely.

o

I don't think they would be happy in summer rain, no water for them at all. This one is a volunteer, but they are sold in nurseries for landscaping. I had a couple and killed them by watering them.

o

That is so pretty.
There is a house up the street that has a plant that looks like that, and I have always wondered what kind it is.They grow it like a vine along the fence.
Below is a photo of that,
Then I'll post a couple of photos close up.

o

Nice seed pods.

o

Up close of flowers.

o

West-gardener, that fence and border looks lovely.

Lilo. thanks for the info, unless our weather pattern changes, we do get summer rains here and there (less the last couple of years) and I would not want to kill the poor bush.

o

The vine on the fence is white wisteria and the whit border in front is star jasmine the plants between are roses. All pretty.

Ceanothus comes in reds, blues, whites and purples, some stay low (less than a foot) and others vary to ten feet tall. there is a nursery for natives here linked below, pics and descriptions of all their natives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree of Life Nursery

o

Thanks for the id and link, Don. Very helpful.

Yes, it is pretty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here