Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Man, that really dates us.

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 15:01

Had NPR on during lunch and there was a duet, man and woman. Leone said, "sounds like Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald". Surely we aren't the only ones who remember them. Been a while. Some one else please say they also remember them. Believe thy started shortly after sound came to the movies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Man, that really dates us.

Oh yes I remember them well. Seems just like yesterday. Turner Classic Movies shows their films occasionally. What ever happened to good music?? Steve in Stevens County.

o

No, I don't remember them, but then again, we did not get a replacement radio after WW11, until 1947 and the only station we could get was from Liechtenstein,and they played the classics, day and night. No American music.
Re: the question about where the good music has gone?
While watching the royal wedding, I was so impressed by the children's Choir, that was beautiful music.

o

gandle, I remember them! Beautiful team.
Mom wouldn't let us listen to 'modern' 50's music, so we heard a lot of the older tunes.
When we moved to Va, she had the juke box fellow keep tunes such as Sleepy Lagoon, Alice Blue Gown, Jalousie, Stars Fell on Alabama, etc on the jukebox, also---of course, thanks to the customers, we were also able to hear 'modern' music, --a lot!!
Thanks for the memories! :o)

o

---forgot Les Paul and Mary Ford---whadda a team!
I can hear them as I type....somewhere there's music....!

o

Who?

HA! I'm kidding.

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Tue, May 10, 11 at 17:33

"When I'm calling you-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-, will you answer too, oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo?"

Of course I remember them! I can picture Nelson Eddy in his Royal Canadian Mounties uniform, embracing Jeannette McDonald and singing to the wilds! She'd answer in the next verse, and then they'd sing, together. A little corny, perhaps, but a lovely sound.

o

Having grown up in a musical family we listened to and had records of every thing from big band and opera to bar records that an uncle who serviced juke boxes would leave for us. Being younger than many on here I was still aware of many things kids older than me enjoyed, yes I remember them.

o

Taking in consideration where I come from, a lot of music I did not know, especially from the US, but boy, did we make up after 1945. AFN was a constant for me especially jazz (as long as my father was not around), and of course all the singers of the pre- and war years. I too ask myself whatever happened to melodies instead of volume to cover the lack of it.

o

Grew up in Chicago and saw all their movies at the Saturday matinee's those were the good old days.
Then on the way home my gal pal and I would sing all the songs when we'd go under the train tunnels beautiful acoustics.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 11 at 23:58

I went to a grandson's chorus concert last night....there were 4 groups participating, roughly 1/3 of the student body and they sang traditional chorus as well as choral music,,,it was wonderful. Kids are participating in "Good Music"....and it's a pleasure to hear them.
A week ago sunday I attended another chorus concert, with adults, highschool kids and college kids, singing everything from Hayden to folk music....and loving it. They weren't compelled to be part of the chorus.

And yes I remember Jeanette and Nelson as well as Kate Smith and a few others.
Linda C
Linda C

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Sat, May 14, 11 at 8:22

During my teen years when I was sure every other teenager in the entire USA was out on dates and parties and having all kinds of fun on Friday nights, I watched a local channel that showed movies from the 30's. I became hooked on them. Thank goodness for TCM so I can still watch them. So of course I know who Jeannette Mcdonald and Nelson Eddy are. And do you remember Maurce Chevalier musicals? He stared in some with Jeannette before she was hooked with Nelson.

o

---Thank Heavens for leeettle gurls.....
My DGD's would roll their eyes every time I'd do a take off on Chevalier....

(I like TCM, also--old movies are great--well,some are.
Some are too fru-fru,
frill-frill, shrill-shrill, too-too.)

o

But do you remember Phil Spitalny and his all girl orchestra?

o

OK, now you have me flumoxed! Something else to look up.

o

I remember Phil Spitalny!

o

I remember Phil Spitalny!

And his beautiful all girl orchestra yeah!!!
I was acquainted with Heidi Spitalny a long time ago cant remember how she was related .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here