Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Man, that really dates us.

gandle
12 years ago

Had NPR on during lunch and there was a duet, man and woman. Leone said, "sounds like Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald". Surely we aren't the only ones who remember them. Been a while. Some one else please say they also remember them. Believe thy started shortly after sound came to the movies.

Comments (16)

• oscarthecat
    12 years ago

Oh yes I remember them well. Seems just like yesterday. Turner Classic Movies shows their films occasionally. What ever happened to good music?? Steve in Stevens County.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

No, I don't remember them, but then again, we did not get a replacement radio after WW11, until 1947 and the only station we could get was from Liechtenstein,and they played the classics, day and night. No American music.
    Re: the question about where the good music has gone?
    While watching the royal wedding, I was so impressed by the children's Choir, that was beautiful music.

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

gandle, I remember them! Beautiful team.
    Mom wouldn't let us listen to 'modern' 50's music, so we heard a lot of the older tunes.
    When we moved to Va, she had the juke box fellow keep tunes such as Sleepy Lagoon, Alice Blue Gown, Jalousie, Stars Fell on Alabama, etc on the jukebox, also---of course, thanks to the customers, we were also able to hear 'modern' music, --a lot!!
    Thanks for the memories! :o)

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

---forgot Les Paul and Mary Ford---whadda a team!
    I can hear them as I type....somewhere there's music....!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    12 years ago

Who?

HA! I'm kidding.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

"When I'm calling you-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-, will you answer too, oo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oo?"

Of course I remember them! I can picture Nelson Eddy in his Royal Canadian Mounties uniform, embracing Jeannette McDonald and singing to the wilds! She'd answer in the next verse, and then they'd sing, together. A little corny, perhaps, but a lovely sound.

• User
    12 years ago

Having grown up in a musical family we listened to and had records of every thing from big band and opera to bar records that an uncle who serviced juke boxes would leave for us. Being younger than many on here I was still aware of many things kids older than me enjoyed, yes I remember them.

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Taking in consideration where I come from, a lot of music I did not know, especially from the US, but boy, did we make up after 1945. AFN was a constant for me especially jazz (as long as my father was not around), and of course all the singers of the pre- and war years. I too ask myself whatever happened to melodies instead of volume to cover the lack of it.

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

Grew up in Chicago and saw all their movies at the Saturday matinee's those were the good old days.
    Then on the way home my gal pal and I would sing all the songs when we'd go under the train tunnels beautiful acoustics.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I went to a grandson's chorus concert last night....there were 4 groups participating, roughly 1/3 of the student body and they sang traditional chorus as well as choral music,,,it was wonderful. Kids are participating in "Good Music"....and it's a pleasure to hear them.
    A week ago sunday I attended another chorus concert, with adults, highschool kids and college kids, singing everything from Hayden to folk music....and loving it. They weren't compelled to be part of the chorus.

And yes I remember Jeanette and Nelson as well as Kate Smith and a few others.
    Linda C
    Linda C

• tibs
    12 years ago

During my teen years when I was sure every other teenager in the entire USA was out on dates and parties and having all kinds of fun on Friday nights, I watched a local channel that showed movies from the 30's. I became hooked on them. Thank goodness for TCM so I can still watch them. So of course I know who Jeannette Mcdonald and Nelson Eddy are. And do you remember Maurce Chevalier musicals? He stared in some with Jeannette before she was hooked with Nelson.

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

---Thank Heavens for leeettle gurls.....
    My DGD's would roll their eyes every time I'd do a take off on Chevalier....

(I like TCM, also--old movies are great--well,some are.
    Some are too fru-fru,
    frill-frill, shrill-shrill, too-too.)

• gandle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

But do you remember Phil Spitalny and his all girl orchestra?

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

OK, now you have me flumoxed! Something else to look up.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I remember Phil Spitalny!

• minnie_tx
    12 years ago

I remember Phil Spitalny!

And his beautiful all girl orchestra yeah!!!
    I was acquainted with Heidi Spitalny a long time ago cant remember how she was related .

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions