Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mondays are for rambling

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 15:08

The retirement freedom from the clock is still being over-ridden by 35 years of waking up early and rarin' to go to work on Monday, regardless of whatever lack of sleep was induced by the weekend. Sometimes I can yawn and go back to sleep once I remember that I'm no longer in the job corps, but mostly I accept the wakefulness and get the day underway. It's turned out that Mondays are good for getting out and doing all the tiddly run-around chores. This is how today has gone, so far:

Up at 5a. Eye the rain gauge while drinking my first glass of water. No rain overnight; actually in my area there's been no measurable rain since last Wednesday in spite of glowering clouds and the occasional mist. That mist is just enough to make a paste of the holly-pine-oak pollen coating the vehicles. Don't drive until you've thrown a bucket or two of water over the windshield.

By 830a, I've had breakfast, cleaned the kitchen and mopped the floor. DH comes out bleary-eyed and heads for the coffee maker; in another half-hour the kitchen will look as though it fed a crowd, messily.

9a. Clean the car windows enough to make driving safer. My stops are lined up to make a bow-loop: to the little town on the south: bank; lamp store to price a new wall lamp (gulp); oriental grocery for wraps; north on the return loop to the other little town. They are finally doing a real re-pave of the road; for two years we have watched 6" deep pot-holes proliferate until they fell into each other. I guess that's one way to get people to slow down.

10a. Pharmacy; it still irritates me to pay $11 for a small packet of pseudoephedrine which was 2 packets for a dollar before it became regulated. otoh, it's effective in controlling my allergies, which is better than any of the big-brand names (at ten times the cost). Go on to the haircut place and find that my beautician isn't due in until afternoon. Gas station: note that gas is 30 cents per gallon higher than 4 weeks ago and 50 cents higher than 6 weeks ago. Last week, a guy on the radio [from one of the gasoline companies] assured listeners that the gas prices would be going down long before Memorial Day; it seems that none of the local gas stations are in active agreement.

11a. Local plant nursery for more cocoa-shell mulch. HD for 0000 steel wool (working on finishing a new bookcase). Big-box store for: milk ($1+ per gallon less than grocery); free-range eggs; mushrooms, and a book which apparently fell into my cart. DH does the shopping at the real grocery store, which gives him the chance to buy all sorts of junk food.

1230n. Home to put away groceries and get some lunch.

1p. Get haircut. Beautician has been on vacation for 6 weeks, so it's nice to get my shaggy ends properly trimmed.

2p. Library.

It's been an easy day, but somehow I feel that there isn't much to show for all time. Guess I'll go spread mulch before the afternoon thunderclouds roll by.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mondays are for rambling

It's Tuesday, and I'll ramble. Or grumble. You know those reactions I was having to antibiotics? I've tried and tried and tried... all of them. All. And I can no longer have antibiotics. I am officially allergic to them all. I am much worse off now. I am not well from the infection I have, and now, my sprained ankle that was almost better is back to bugging me. I've had inhaled, oral, and ocular steroids. Every inch of me is inflamed in one way or another. My blood pressure is up. Me, with low blood pressure is bordering on high blood pressure. 40 points higher! I spend my days going to the doctor, paying a copayment, being examined, then them prescribing yet another prescription to which I may or may not have another reaction and then paying for it too. I am out so much money and not better, but worse. It's really frustrating. I just sit in front of them wavering between anger and crying. I want to throw things when I hear the same thing over and over. It's not their fault, I know.

I am going to Saint Louis shortly and I better be better by then! LF is excited to ride roller coasters for the first time. And my long time friend who has been divorced forever is getting remarried. I'm so happy for her! I hope we can focus entirely on that and not one second on me. We laughed and laughed over the phone the other day. I can't wait to see her.

o

Since modern medicine isn't working it might be time to see what people made do before antibiotics were discovered and became a miracle and crutch for the medical field. I will have to do a search to spark my memory of what was used before we became dependent on antibiotics.

I know I have used a garlic tea before when I had a sinus infection and couldn't get to see a doctor. I know there are other herbs and such that might work.

Worth a try now that all antibiotics are off the table.

o
Thanks! Mondays are for rambling

I'm all for herbs. St John's Wort was the best. I'd take it again if I were ever depressed again. Let me know. I am very interested.

o

Prayers and hugs for you, Robin!
Hope your trip works wonders for you inside and out.\
KJ

One of my two brothers was married last Sat. in the chapel at Cornell. I couldn't make it, but the family says it was the best wedding they've ever been to.
(We adore his nightingale of a wife! She sang a lullaby at dusk in the middle of our garden last summer---tears still well up when I remember how the grounds became hushed and listened, also. It was enchanting and eerie.) Best service, best music, best food, most beautiful bride and groom---ever! He's in his 60's; she, in her 50's.

An old friend fixed up an old Yamaha 450 MC for me
('fixed up' means, 'like new'.) and got word to me it was ready---if it had only been a year ago, I would've accepted it, gladly! Since my bad fall last July, nothing is quite the same, and I have fallen too many times in the past couple months----usually in the garden, which sure beats a flight of stairs.....or falling off a MC, so, I regretfully declined the gift from one of the best riders, EVER. He is a person who isn't riding the MC---he IS the MC. ----I could never even feel the gears change...

o

Mel, I would love to have one of your rambling days.
I miss those days the most.

Rob, I hope that you will soon find something that works for you.
Seems as though you clear one hurdle and another one
gets in your way. I'm so sorry.

It is cold and so windy today. Spring is here my eye!
I finally bought a few flowers but it's too cold to dig
in the dirt. By the time the weekend gets here
it will most likely be 100 and then it will be too hot.

I drove through the little town of Ringgold and through Cherokee Valley on Saturday.
The F4 tornado that hit that area left nothing but devastation.
You see the pictures on television but when you actually see it in person then you
can really understand. I cried all the way there and back.
There is a little church in the valley that has been working
night and day to meet the needs of the people who lost everything.
Katrina and I gave them a donation when we went the
other day but I am going to go back and give them some more
money and see what we can do to help them.

o

Robb, I wished I had a cure, but looking through old German books I have, I could not find anything which could be a substitute for antibiotics, except eating lots of garlic. Hope somebody finds something for you.
On Sunday my youngest son called and said he would bring his tiller since I am still not up to par. He pulled in the driveway and the heavens opened up. I think I rent him out to Texas, everytime he comes to help outdoors, it rains either while he is on the way or after he gets here. For him it is a two hour roundtrip and since he is so often out of town and he has a large garden himself, he just can't run any time I could use his help.

o

Prayers and hugs for you, Robin!
Hope your trip works wonders for you inside and out.\
KJ

One of my two brothers was married last Sat. in the chapel at Cornell. I couldn't make it, but the family says it was the best wedding they've ever been to.
(We adore his nightingale of a wife! She sang a lullaby at dusk in the middle of our garden last summer---tears still well up when I remember how the grounds became hushed and listened, also. It was enchanting and eerie.) Best service, best music, best food, most beautiful bride and groom---ever! He's in his 60's; she, in her 50's.

An old friend fixed up an old Yamaha 450 MC for me
('fixed up' means, 'like new'.) and got word to me it was ready---if it had only been a year ago, I would've accepted it, gladly! Since my bad fall last July, nothing is quite the same, and I have fallen too many times in the past couple months----usually in the garden, which sure beats a flight of stairs.....or falling off a MC, so, I regretfully declined the gift from one of the best riders, EVER. He is a person who isn't riding the MC---he IS the MC. ----I could never even feel the gears change...

o
RE: Mondays are for I'm Sorry!

I'm so sorry---I do too many things at once , mainly when feeding the critters---I came back and saw the piece I wrote earlier and it was in a preview box, so I hit 'Submit', thinking it was just waiting where I left it.
Evidently, it'd been hit already, and once again, I'd forgotten.

My days are made up of 'half-dones' and 'forgots'.
:o)

o

I just luv my rambeling days, and I really like that description. These days I'm free do do whatever I want to do, and whenever I choose to do it, as long as I take care of business and it's a great freedom.

o

KJ, what's a MC?

o

West; it's a motorcycle.

I'm a girl with a car guys' love of machines and I forget sometimes when I'm RELIVING ALL THE FUN I'VE HAD, that I just get on a rolllllll and forget my manners!; I'm sorry.

(Used to have an old Honda 350 years back---so MUCH fun!)
If I was having that much fun these days, I don't think I could take it---I'd probably just collapse from Funitis!
GUFFAWWWW!

o

Echinacea and goldenseal are the two herbs that can act as antibiotics. Not to mention, Echinacea can also stave off infections. Which I'll have to do now since I've been told, seriously, not to get sick.

Thanks y'all! for your kind words and for trying to help. I'll be 100% by the time I get back from St. Louis. I've never been, so we'll see the arch, Busch Gardens, etc. The works I'm sure, knowing her!

o

kathyjane, thanks for explaining.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here