Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dove-e talks

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 16:28

For several years we had 2 doves frequently visiting, last year there were 4, and this year 6. Doves aren't quite as varied in coloring as pigeons, but one of the six is notable. Just slightly more slender than the others with a habit of tipping the head while studying whatever has caught her interest, the head and front downwards is distinctly pinkish. One of the others has a pinkish tummy, so they may be related.

The other day I was sitting [inside] by a window which was screened and open to the breeze. My concentration was all on the book I was reading when a noise took my attention. At first I thought it was an owl.. very loud WWWHOOO? whooo? rrrrrr. (The 'whoo's sounded like that, the rrrr's sounded like a cross between an upset Scotsman and a woodpecker.) Then, Whoo? pkkttpkkta rrrrr! I peer up at the trees although I've never heard an owl sound like that; or a woodpecker either. Silence regained and no bird visible in the trees, I returned to my book. Then, right beside my ear and with volume turned up, Whooo? rrrr! pktrrrrrrr? Carefully perched on the sill, looking at me almost beak-to-nose through the screen, was the little pinkish dove-e, tipping her head as she studied me. She [he?] talked for several minutes, coo's and whooo's and a great assortment of pktpkta's and rrr's.
I haven't any idea what she was telling me, but since then whenever I'm on the patio, she flies to the top of the arbor covering it and chats.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dove-e talks

There is a link below with different Mourning Dove sounds.
P

Here is a link that might be useful: Mourning Dove Sounds

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 12 at 18:22

What a neat experience for you. I bet if you put a few sunflower seeds on the window sill or patio, she'd talk to you even more! :>) (Of course, if she told her friends, you might get more than you'd like.)

o

I'm jealous!!!
Everyone should have a friend like that.

o

I've got dove diner, but they don't talk to me, they just want their seeds.

o

Actually the sounds you are describing sound more like the Eurasian collard dove. You may want to Google that on a site like 'allaboutbirds'. They have the sound files. This bird is a recent immigrant, via the bahamas, but originially not a new world dove. They have become established in most of the u.s. other than the north eastern states.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here