Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

I'd follow her anywhere

gandle
11 years ago

if she was wearing that perfume. The yellowwood is putting on a magnificent show this year. Perhaps because of the mild winter but there are thousands of 12 to 15 inch panicles with side branches absolutely loaded with ivory white pea blossom shaped flowers, each has a very light floral scent but when you get tens of thousands of blossoms open at once then the neighborhood is perfumed. Yet, it is never over powering. Just a pervasive light scent that seems to draw bees and butterflies by the hundreds. As I was coming to the house there were 4 beautiful mourning cloak butterflies plus incounted skippers and othere I can't identify. The bees are so busy you can grab the panicle they are feeding on and they don't pay any attention.

Unfortunately, yellowwood is not a dependable bloomer. You may go for several years with just scattered bloom but not this year. The flowers are so plentiful the the branches are drooping.

Been planting tomatoes but really know better, they had a rather hard frost just 2 countys west. Planting goes rather slow, when I kneel down I have to have a hoe handy so I can climb the handle. Be nice to feel legs below the knee again but I also know it won't happen. Thats just the way it is so I'll work with it.

If I would quit gardening and figure out how to bottle the essence of my tree I would have a very seductive lure to bottle.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area
More Discussions