Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

Cake Mix!

agnespuffin
11 years ago

It's been years and years since I tried a cake mix. I will have to admit that they have improved a good deal. The first ones....waaaayyy back when... were not something to brag about.

Anyway...the Husband Cookguy has been fiddling with mixes with good success. In fact, the purpose of this post is to reccomend one.

Maybe I shouldn't post a trade name, but the name on the box of this one is B.C. As in Betty C. It's the BUTTER PECAN mix. And it is really tasty.

But, I can't think of an icing that would go well with it. So if you have tried it, and like it, did you ice it? if so, what with?

I will confess....plain cake without an icing, might be the best!

Comments (6)

• gabriell_gw
    11 years ago

Cake mixes have improved although I seldom use them.But the canned icings are very good as well.I do use them if I make cup cakes for an occasion.I think there is an icing that is intended for the cake you mention.There's one like icing for German Chocolate cake. My favorite cake!

• Selenaserval
    11 years ago

You could make it in a Bundt pan. Use chopped pecans, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle that in your sprayed pan, then put half of the batter in, then in put more of the pecan, sugar and cinnamon mixture, then the rest of the batter. Or, a browned butter icing would be good. I'll give you some recipes if you're interested. : )

• Selenaserval
    11 years ago

American Buttercream Frosting

1 cup (2 sticks) butter (salted, or unsalted)
    1/4 teaspoon salt (if using unsalted butter)
    4 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (best quality available)
    2-3 tablespoons heavy cream, half and half or milk.

*Optional- I like a cream cheese version of this frosting best. The cream cheese adds to the creamy texture, and cuts down on the sweetness just a bit. If desired, for a very light cream cheese flavor add 1/2 block (4 oz). cream cheese, leaving the other ingredients (as listed above) the same. For a more traditional cream cheese flavor, reduce the butter to 1/2 cup, and add 1 block (8 oz.) of cream cheese. If using a full block of cream cheese, you can reduce the cream or milk to 1 tablespoon total.

Flavoring options- An almost unlimited number of flavoring options can be added in addition to, or instead of the vanilla. Orange and/or lemon zest, citrus extracts, mint extract, coconut extract or the seeds of a vanilla bean are all wonderful options. In most cases I'll still add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, then 1/2 teaspoon of the other flavoring. For zest, add about 1 teaspoon fresh zest. For chocolate buttercream, add 1/2 cup (good quality) unsweetened cocoa powder.

Directions-
    * In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter (on medium speed) until completely smooth (30 seconds to a minute). (If you are adding cream cheese, add it now, then beat until smooth)
    * Add salt (if needed).
    * One cup at time, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition.
    * Add vanilla, or other flavorings and beat to combine.
    * Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating.
    * Add the remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, one at a time.
    * Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. If you want to pipe the frosting on cupcakes, the frosting should be nice and thick. Continue to beat another minute or so. The frosting should now be smooth and fluffy.

Troubleshooting-
    * If your frosting is not smooth, it is likely because the butter was not fully smooth before adding the other ingredients.
    * If your frosting will not hold up when piped on cupcakes, your frosting has too much liquid or is too warm. Put entire bowl of frosting in the fridge for 15-20 minutes and it will stiffen up. If it is still too thin, then add 1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar, beat well.

• Selenaserval
    11 years ago

6 tablespoons unsalted Butter
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 3 to 4 tablespoons milk

Melt 6 tablespoons butter in 1-quart saucepan over medium heat. Continue cooking, stirring constantly and watching closely, until butter just starts to turn golden (4 to 6 minutes). (Butter will get foamy and bubble.) Remove from heat. Cool completely.

Combine browned butter, powdered sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla in small bowl. Beat at medium speed, gradually adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. Frost cooled cake.

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I think the Browned Butter one might be the best for that butter pecan cake. Maybe with some crushed pecan in it.

I liked the creamed cheese idea too. It would cut the sweetness. I am not a big fan of the overly sweet icings. I'm going to print these out and see if the he can be talked into trying them.

He really seems to be enjoying the cooking lessons (not that I know a great deal about cooking) He made some wonderful spagetti sauce this week. He took the time to saute the celery and onions before adding them to the sauce. I was surprised at the difference in flavors!

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

It so nice to see people experimenting with cooking and new/old way of doing things.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions