Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenbutt

Looking for freinds from way back a when

gardenbutt
10 years ago

Okay so it is probably a long shot....

Way way back in the beginning of time,ummmm well at least in the garden partay I used to post and pester and poke people...So my big question is how many people may be around who were from back in the 1998 to 2004 time period may be a hanging around...LOL, gotta be someone ...

Hugs,
Mary
aka
JWJ back a then

Comments (22)

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

I was around then... :) welcome back!

• mawheel
    10 years ago

I was a lurker during that period, but have been hanging around the GP since 1999 or so. I remember when new folks were asked if they liked chocolate, a necessity for sure! :>)

You live in a wonderful place; Flathead Lake is beautiful.

• auntier
    10 years ago

I was around...here and there..was in Texas, now in Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: Robin in V-a

• gardenbutt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool there are a few !!! Yes the chocolate,,I was the keeper of it .. ehhehe

• meldy_nva
    10 years ago

I'm from back then, actually from not too long after the party came to be. I don't remember when I stopped lurking and started posting.

There are several other long-timers still posting, but, you know... it's spring planting season so it may be a while before they check in.

• Aamich
    10 years ago

I was around then too. I remember several posters, a young guy from Florida I think, and a young woman from Illinois who participated regularly and ended up getting married. That was cool. I also remember a guy from California who always promoted the virtues of a good Cailf red zinfadel. I don't know if he is still around, but now that I'm older and wiser, I'd love to tell him that he was right!

I haven't posted or even lurked in many years and just recently returned to visit the appliance forums since we are getting ready to remodel. I just had to look in on the party because this forum was such a big part of my life for several years in the late 90s.

• frontiercc
    10 years ago

I was around then. Just today ventured back in to see what's going on. Haven't been in for probably 10 years! Your post timing is uncanny . . . .

• shilty
    10 years ago

I may be the only one here that's been around longer that dirt.
    I THINK it was early 90's.

• don_socal
    10 years ago

'98 lurked a lot at first then posted a bit. '01 started posting more, same name from the beginning.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden Party way back machine

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

Don, thanks so much for posting the way back link. It is so much fun to read the past posts. I remember some of the posters.

• Lisa_H OK
    10 years ago

Oh, thanks, Don, from me too! I love going back and reading the old posts. So many people I remember....and now wonder what happened to them. I just thoroughly enjoyed the post on the 10 year anniversary.

• mjmercer
    10 years ago

It's interesting to me that so many of us (yep, me too) rolled in here in 1998. I wonder what it was about that year??

Karen

• bigfoot_liz
    10 years ago

My DH - Bigfoot & I - liz were around back then! We are the 1st couple of the Garden Party LOL ;-))) ~ liz

• lilosophie
    10 years ago

I came around '97 - decided to get a computer and many of my contemporaries wondered why I would do this - I could spend the money on a nice cruise instead -

• Aamich
    10 years ago

Bigfoot and Liz,

You are the couple that I was referring to earlier. So glad to see you are still on the GW and that you two are still together. Those were fun days.

Karen, I think the Web was so new back in the late 90s that the idea of communicating online was really novel and many of us had just gotten computers and high-speed dial-up( 1200 or 2400 baud, oh my!) Internet service. Plus participating was manageable back then. I was involved with ebay in the early days too. My how things have changed in the 15 years or so..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I don't come visit too often anymore, but I always brag that I was the first person to post in a brand new Garden Party, though I had been completely hooked on the GardenWeb long before. Another couple, you may remember Robert from Alabama and Dorie from s. Carolina.

"Officially" married on 5/25/02, we were 'wed ' at the Chicago get-together not too long after, lol. Of course, it was a grand double ceremony with Liz and 'Big Foot '.

There were times that I laughed so hard that I peed my pants! My goodness, there were some funny, funny threads.

Zin was Don Zimmerman; he sent us a bottle of his California Zinfandel. He was an amazing bonsai artist, too.

Dorie....now from Alabama :-)

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 11:19

• Aamich
    10 years ago

I remember you and Robert too Dorie. And Don Zin. I wish he was still around because I'd love to tell him that he was absolutely correct about his good California Zinfandels. One of my very favorites wines now. Those were fun times.

• Mrobbins
    10 years ago

I was very active in the late '90s and early '00s too. I think it had something to do with the fact that internet access was now a standard thing to have at one's workplace....!

I loved the activity and personalities on the Garden Party. I got to know about parts of the country (and the world) that I'd never interested, and the Partiers were such a great audience - sympathetic, wonderful people who gave hugs (((()))) and sunflowers when things went wrong in others' lives. I felt good sharing my writing on this forum -- sometimes I'd observe something in my life, or my environment, or both, and I'd think: gotta tell the folks at the Garden Party about this. I think I did some of my best writing then. Silly of me to have not saved it.

• sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    10 years ago

MRobbins, you did some splendid writing and I saved some of it; however, I lost everything in a computer crash earlier this year.
    Your piece about a trip through Central Park made me feel just like I had been there. It is good to see you here--I always wonder about those who are missing. It would be great to see more of your writing.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    10 years ago

mrobbins, I have one saved. If you want it, email me. I wish I'd saved them all too. So many threads, from so many people were really enjoyable.

• west_gardener
    10 years ago

Hi mrobbins, I remember your posts and enjoyed them very much. I hope you will join us in our current postings.

• rose3
    10 years ago

How odd to find this post today. I haven't visited the party in many years. I used to be a regular. What fun we had!