Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Well, that was a disaster

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, May 20, 11 at 17:51

Finally had a nice day so was working in my shop. Door was open as usual when I'm in there. Had a bunch of small parts of many kinds of wood that I had from scraps. Was very carfully assembling them and beginning to glue up some small parts, Had just put some clamps on them and was starting to drill before driving a small screw when something large and black flew right under my nose and the cat was about 6 inches behind it. A grackle had flown in the open door and the cat was right behind it. It flew over to the east window and tried to escape through the closed glass. the cat jumped up on a bench by that window and was swatting at the bird. Then it flew to the closed north window and the cat even jumped up on the table saw which was near the window, she couldn't get ahold of anything on the slick iron surface so she went crashing into some lathe tools and dislodging a bunch of them. The bird finally flew out the door but I have a total mess on my bench and I even whacked myself in the upper lip with the drill handle when I'm not sure which one of the participants went under my nose. I can't even find the square screwdriver bit I was just about to use in the drill. I'm thinking about putting a screen door on the shop. The mess will wait til tomorrow.

There is a bottle of maiwein in the refrigerator think I'll have a glass or two.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Well, that was a disaster

Work shops are supposed to be sanctuaries where we create things, right? But life happens. Yes, a screen would help.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 20:31

A glass of maiwein is an excellent idea to settle the nerves, this must have been really exiting - for the bird and the cat and you.
Last spring I had a bat come into the living room, that was exiting, but thew bat settled down and the cats lost interest. You had a merry chase there.

o

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 22:20

I want to know what was coming out of your mouth. I am picturing the cartoon symbols that are over Sarge's head in Beetle Bailey.

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 20, 11 at 23:35

How do I make Maiwein?

o

I am sure that you were thinking about what a fine, loving pet that Cat was!!!

We all need a little excitment now and then....Right???

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 0:40

Cat did her job - wrong time, wrong place, but she's a cat

o

Isn't it nice to have life back to 'normal', George?!
Ahhhhh.....

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Sat, May 21, 11 at 13:22

Sure glad that all you ended up with was a mess of inanimate objects! If the cat had caught the grackle, it could have been ugly!! A screen door sounds like a good idea.

o

Sorry you had such a mess and yes, you need to get a screen door. Rule #1 I learned over the years, catch cat and put in a secure place, then open doors and windows and try to get whatever flies or runs around out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here