Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Six birdie eggs......gone.

Posted by west_gardener (My Page) on
Fri, May 17, 13 at 18:36

A couple of house wrens built a nest in a tree that grows under our overhang. Three days ago there were six eggs in the nest, today all the eggs are gone.
We've seen bluejays and crows scouting out the nest, so I suspect one of them got to the eggs.
The house wrens are still coming to the nest, but I don't know why.
We, DH and I feel sad for the parents.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Six birdie eggs......gone.

Tat is so sad, the female may lay another clutch of eggs and try again.

o

Is there anyway you can put a birdhouse up for them with the proper opening for a house wren? There are plenty of types that you can hang in the tree itself. They have a very small opening so that no predators can get inside. Here's a google page with plenty of houses and even plans for houses if your husband is inclined to build one.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=birdhouses+for+a+house+w&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS508US508&q=birdhouse+for+house+wren+&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30.0.0.0.8399...........0.Wtgxb5bhLog

By the way I have a nest full of baby house wrens up under the eave of my porch. Fortunately, the porch is partially enclosed so no predators would risk coming inside. The parents go in and out all day to feed them. It so nice to hear them peeping away at feeding time. So cute.

o

Thanks for the suggestion about the bird house. I had not thought about that. The birdies have stopped coming around, so I figure that I have a few months to prepare for next spring.

o

I remembered something that happened years ago. My mother kept hearing birdies in her closed patio and couldn't figure out where the birds were. On a closer inspection outside her house she saw that the there was a small hole in her soffit where a bird had made her nest and had her chicks. My mother, smart woman that she was, went to the lumber yard and tooks scrap wood flooring, asked the guy to cut them into 1' lenghts, put a piece of scrap wood at each end and bore a small hole in the side. The birdhouse was shaped like a rectange (I believe my mother used a 1" round boring bit though you should check out what the proper size should be since I forgot exactly what she used.) After the birds flew the coop in the fall and before the birds came back in spring, she hung the homemade housewren box right under the repaired eave. That first spring the birds took up residence in the box and they did every year until her death a few years ago. The new owners asked us what that was all about and when I told them they thought it was a good idea too so I don't think we have to worry about the birdies losing their home. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here