Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Lightning Bugs are Back

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Sat, May 29, 10 at 20:56

And they seem to be in greater numbers than the last few years.

They are a favoured harbinger of summer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Lightning Bugs are Back

None here yet and they were very scarce the last couple of years. Seems everybody around here has a lawn service and sprays and wonders how come we don't have any lightning bugs and butterflies, after all, they moved in the country to have all those things.

o

The first time I saw Lightning Bugs was in VA. It was an awesome sight. Little lights lighting up all over the lawn areas.
Lightning bugs seem to be a continental or regional phenom. I never saw them in Scandinavia nor here in CA.
Glad to see that they are alive and well in your neck of the woods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightning Bugs/Fireflies

o

I had one in the house a week or so ago. I think it was the very hot weather we were having that drew them out.

o

One of the things I miss from Iowa. We only get fake ones at the Blue Bayou restaurant in Disney land here in socal. I have not been to DL since I quit working there in '87.

o

none so far this year but am waiting. The Pa lightening bug (Photuris pennsylvanica) is huge and such a treat to watch when there are hundreds of them in the woods. I was just reading about them and have living under a rock. I didn't know the females firefly doesn't fly. She lives on the ground.

o

I got 'em here, a freaky 2 or 3 weeks early...

o

Finally saw one lightning bug yesterday evening. Besides ticks, insects seem to be absent. The sage (herb) is blooming, normaly visited by bees and bumble bees, this year nothing. I have been outsides most of the day yesterday and today and walking miles earlier in the week. It's the same everywhere. A couple of Bluets, and while mowing the same, battered looking Fritillary are all the butterflies so far this year. Even flies and mosquitos are absent. It's completely weird.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here