Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
quotes 6 - 16 - 14

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 0:25

The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance.
Carl Sandburg

It is not so much the example of others we imitate as the reflection of ourselves in their eyes and the echo of ourselves in their words.
Eric Hoffer

I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all.
Richard Wright

Music is the harmonious voice of creation; an echo of the invisible world.
Giuseppe Mazzini

Sublimity is the echo of great mind.
Longinus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: quotes 6 - 16 - 14

Interesting reflections on echos, like these very much

o
RE: quotes 6 - 16 - 14

Yes, interesting topic.
I can identify with the Richard Wright quote.
I think I've told this story before. Where my aunt and uncle lived in the mountain outside Oslo, and it was a great echo spot.
There were no phones, etc...
My aunts and uncles, would go out and sing, play violin and harmonica, and little by little we would hear answering sounds.
During the war, ww11, they used it to signal when danger was near.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here