Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: My Stupidest Gardening Mistake - or- We Were Once All Newbie

Posted by Kerstin none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 0:31

So many funny stories on here that my sides hurt! Which reminded me of one of my own. I bought 2 bags of pole beans. I had planted a total of 60 beans, mind u I have a garden w/ tomatoes,squash, carrots & pole beans. My garden is about 20x10, yeah, not a great idea, took over my whole garden & destroyed it, but of course while planting I just couldn't get all those beans in the garden (and u shouldn't waste what u bought, right?) so I planted the last 20+ beans along the side of my house along the fence line. Did I mention I live in town & ppl can see the ones next to the house? What a mess! And did I also mention I have six Bichons (dogs)? yeah, forget the ones along the fence thx to the helpful dogs barking at the neighbors & trampling them. Disgusting large 3-4 ft wide dirt & patches of grass all summer, Highly embarrassing after I've bragged to the neighbors while sweating in the sun planting all of this. Needless to say I came up w/ a brilliant idea this year....wait for it.. A Volleyball net! and TADA! This year we have the beans segregated on that net, problem solved! And even though this happend 3 summers ago & after tilling I somehow ended up w/ 1 mysterious carrot that would come back!... Oh how we all seem to over do it in the "moment of the green thumb!"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: My Stupidest Gardening Mistake - or- We Were Once All Ne

Hi Kerstin, welcome to the Garden Party. I have not had many "worst" mistakes,thank goodness. But a whole lot of learning moments and missed opportunities.
We have a couple of apple trees, and early in my gardening experience, I used some of the cuttings as markers in my garden. A couple of the "sticks" took root and they budded and flowered. One was "planted" up-side-down and it still budded and flowered.
I did not want apple trees directly in my veggie garden, so I pulled out all the "sticks".
If that happened these days, I would have left the "sticks" in the ground as an experiment.

o

Oh I got one!

Last year among a ton of other stuff, I planted some heirloom ‘Mexican Sour Gherkin’ cucumbers. They grew really well and started coming in in great numbers

I tried one and didn't really like the taste raw - our new kitchen was under construction so there was no way to try any recipes or pickle them so I gave them all to a friend to pickle.

I must have missed one and it grew for many more weeks. By the time I found under the leaves it seemed to have "magically" turn into a cantaloupe.

Well, perhaps it wasn't magic and I forgot I planted a few cantaloupe seeds and assumed the un-labeled plant with a creeping vines was the cuke.

Turns out I gave a whole bunch of un-ripe cantaloupes to a friend who then pickled them...

I still haven't had the nerve to tell her!

o

Welcome to the Garden Party, dzr4 .
I have realized one of my biggest mistakes is that I don't prune, trim, thin or shape my trees enough. I've found out that trimming a tree is a good thing. But it has taken years to learn the lesson.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here