Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 6/20 - 13

Posted by lilosophie none (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 0:45

For us who live in cities, Nature is not natural. Nature is supernatural.
Just as monks watched and strove to get a glimpse of heaven, so we watch and strive to get a glimpse of earth...It is as if men had cake and wine every day but were sometimes allowed common bread.
G.K. Chesterton

Just as language has no longer anything in common with the thing it names, so the movement of most of the people who live in cities have lost their connection with the earth; they hang, as it were, in the air, hover in all directions, and find no place where they can settle.
Rainer Marie Rilke

I once had a sparrow alight upon mu shoulder for a moment, and felt I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn
Henry David Thoreau

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 6/20 - 13

Thanks Lilo for the lovely picture. It enforces the Chesterton and Rilke quotes, you can't see this in a downtown city situation.
There is nothing like the feeling when some wild thing settles down for a moment on you, even if it is a butterfly.Thoreau is right.

o

Great pic and Thoreau was right on the money

o

We live in Silicon Valley, where there are more silicon chips than cow chips. Fortunately we live in a city that is committed to building parks on every corner of the city.

o

As to Rilke's quote I have found the secret places above the rest but cannot go there anymore till I get in better shape. Is that a protestor in the tree?

o

Nope, you see my power-pole hiding behind the tree - that's taken on my property, on the way back from closing the hen-house for the night

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here