Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote June 14, 2010

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 2:46

The exact measure of the progress of civilization is the degree in which the intelligence of the common mind has prevailed over wealth and brute force.
George Bancroft

By common consent gray hairs are a crown of glory; the only object of respect that can never excite envy.
George Bancroft

Beauty is but the sensible image of the Infinite. Like truth and justice it lives within us; like virtue and the moral law it is a companion of the soul.
George Bancroft

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote June 14, 2010

Very nice Don. Just what I needed before bed, some things to contemplate as I drift off. I like all three very much. Thanks.

o

Interesting thoughts, especially the first one. Speaks not very highly of our civilization.

o

• Posted by lilod NoCal/8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 9:21

Good thoughts, I relate to the middle one in particular...

o

All three are thought-provoking, but I particularly like the third one. After almost 59 years of marriage, rarely does a day go by that DH doesn't tell me how pretty I am. In his case, "beauty" is definitely in the "eye of the beholder"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here