Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

9 June 2011

endorphinjunkie
12 years ago

"One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am-a reluctant enthusiast... a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards."

Edward Abbey

Comments (8)

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

Man; it's just too early to be dropping tears in my coffee---you've made me miss him all over again.

Abbey really stood up for what he BELIEVED in.
    No day was ordinary.

He loved and he loathed with great enthusiasm.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I really must find a copy of the The Monkey Wrench Gang and read it. I really need to get a Kindle, too. One of the English proffessors that I know thinks it's a tool of the devil. But then, he is addicted to the sensuous nature of reading. You know, the smell and feel that a hard bound paper tome can produce. Methinks he's partial correct; it's hard to imagine caressing an electronic device. So it goes.

• mwoods
    12 years ago

I can see why you like this quote Michael..it seems to be how you pretty much try to live your life.

I have an IPad which has a Kindle Ap on it.I swore I'd never read a book that way,I much prefer the whole "atmosphere" of reading with a real book and still pretty much do. However, I did download a book the other day,and I have to say,it's really convenient. I think I can easily live in both worlds..the real book world,and the Kindle book world.

• lilod
    12 years ago

Abbey talked the talk and walked the walk, a rare human being.

I don't think I shall get a Kindle, however,, reading is reading, I like books and tosit in my favorite chair and handle the paper, but as for music, I listento Pandora - I would not think music isn't music unless it's live

• anneliese_32
    12 years ago

Abbey has sane advise and I try to follow it.

My husband has a Kindle and likes it so - so but it comes handy now that he can't go anywhere. I want to go whole hog and get a Nook. Not driving anymore I have to give up the library and our local bookstore which was in walking distance is going out of business this weekend. On the Nook I can download from the library. I still will order books but the library helps.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

The beauty is to reach a balance, a center of life.

• endorphinjunkie
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just ordered the The Monkey Wrench Gang. Could have gotten it cheaper but I wanted the edition with the R. Crumb illustrations.

Ah, anticipating the pleasure of summer reading. Let's see, a hammock, some lemonade, a shade tree, and the company of the dogs. Dogs are good company, but not much on conversation. That's ok, that's how I like it when I read. And they don't seem to mind if I read a passage or two to them out loud. Their tails wag when I do, so it's shared pleasure, t'is.

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Iluv your idea of summer reading. I get my stuff done early so I can have a "whole" day of leisure.
    We had a dog that sat by my feet and watched and listened to every thing I did. I had taught him a few commands, like, get, fetch, park, leash, food, bring, turn over etc. Whenever, I started to read aloud to myself, I made sure that none of his "words" were included because he'd go into a frenzy trying to make things happen.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions