Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6 June 2011

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 8:20

It's amazing how much "mature wisdom" resembles being too tired.

Lazarus Long

I only concur since I worked three adult soccer games yesterday and swam 1500 meters in the pool before it all. Methinks I might take it easy today.

Hmm, June 6th. I had a relative or two in that show.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6 June 2011

I remember the day and a lot of the apprehension involved, but wasn't sure why.

o

Oh yes! D-Day! Being a port city, we saw the convoys of men heading down to the ships. We would stop and count the trucks. First it would be 10 or 15, later the number swelled to 20-25. People would stop and cheer the men on.

I can remember the first time I counted to 100 trucks full of men and equipment. By this time, it was a common place thing. People didn't stop what they were doing to look. Not just men, but truck load of guns, ammo and other stuff.

The big transport and cargo planes didn't exist then. It all went by ship and truck. We've come a long way. But I don't think we have learned a thing about fighting wars or making peace. It's an entirely different type of opposition.

We were surrounded by military and naval camps. The preparation for fighting was very much a part of our lives.

It was not a good time!

o

D-Day. We lost alot of Americans that day! White crosses identify them. We don't want the world to forget!

o

My "mature wisdom" re: June 6th, is to say "Than you" to the American people.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here