Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Barcelona, Spain - part 3

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:40

We are inside Santa Maria de Montserrat. This is the tomb of Admiral Bernat II Velamari, who died in 1512. I wish that I could relate more, but I cannot find more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Barcelona, Spain - part 3

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:43

Flight from Egypt as depicted in stained glass inside Montserrat.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:46

There is no real tour inside the church, but most visitors continue in a line to see some of what is inside. We walked past this column.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:52

The line of visitors were seeking La Moreneta. Pope Leo XIII declared her the patroness of Barcelona. It is thought to have been carved in the 12th century, with a Romanesque style.

Mostly encased in glass, the outstretched hand has been touched by thousands of visitors. La Moreneta of Montserrat is one of only a few Black Madonnas known to exist. That entire area of the church is amazing. Again, no flash allowed, so many of the pictures I took did not turn out good enough to share here.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:55

As I turned around, after viewing the Madonna, this was my view of the sanctuary as it began to welcome visitors who were there to experience the singing of the boys choir.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 8:57

Our waking tour took us past the Ave Maria Path for Sinners, there was also one for the dead.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 9:00

Finally, we are there. This is my view of the Montserrat Altar and La Moreneta (high above at the rear). The view was good until the floodlights were turned on and then it became spectacular.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 9:07

I took lots of pictures inside the church. When I endeavored to put my captions on each picture, I had to do much research to try to put the correct information with each one.

I believe that this depiction of the Immaculate Conception is by Josep Pericas, who is known more as an architect and a contemporary of Antoni Gaudi.

o

Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 9:11

There are places to eat at Montserrat. I walked around while others got some lunch. This view is of Barcelona (not the close town, but the city far away) from near the church.

We will return to Barcelona after our visit to Santa Maria de Montserrat.

o

As I said before, beauty created by hard labor without the help of modern technology

o

Jim , beautiful pictures, Lol, you must be light on your feet and have a good eye to capture these pictures on your short shore trips.Good work.
Living here in Silicon Valley, where the emphasis is on all things new, it is so nice to see some of the history of the former generations.
Lilo's comments about " created by hard labor " rings a bell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here