Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Tangier, Morocco - part 1

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Wow! Tangier, Morocco. OK, some folks believe it is Tangiers and others believe it is Tangier. The people who live there refer to it as Tangier. So there!

Tangier has a metropolitan population of about one million. It is on the coast at the Strait of Gibraltar. The history of this area goes back many years. I won't get into that, this isn't a history lesson per se. It is some of our experiences as we travel.

Neither of us had ever been to Africa, so this adds a continent to our list, and, of course another new port. Later, I will give a total of the the places were have been.

Our arrival is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. That generally means that the lines are secure to the pier by that time. And, Holland America does a good job of keeping to their schedule. We begin our approach to places like Tangier, several hours prior to the scheduled arrival time.

This is an early morning view of part of Tangier.

Comments (13)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, the sun has come up and the view is better.

Our plan includes an organized tour with the company "Tours by Locals" that the missus set up many months ago. A deposit was made and the balance will be paid at the end of the tour. What is not much of a surprise, the tour guide's name is Mohammed, she picked him from a list provided by the tour company. By booking a shore excursion like this, the group will determine the itinerary, it can be changed as the day progresses. If you book an excursion through the ship, you will go in a set way, stopping at places for a set time, etc. Once again, several of our Cruise Critic friends will be joining us.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Early morning still and some of the fishing fleet is leaving the harbor.

One never knows what kind of port we might be. Some ports are very industry related, with no pleasure craft (Trinidad). Others are strictly for cruse ships and pleasure craft (St. Thomas). In Tangier, we are the only ship in port, that is being upgraded; but it is obvious that this is definitely a port for fishing boats.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

After walking to the other side of the ship, I could see the large number of fishing craft as they began their long day. That is Europe in the background.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Time to go ashore and explore. Oops! I have a sinus problem and have decided to stay on the Maasdam and rest. It is not the first time that a simple problem has kept me from going ashore. It is just one of those things.

The missus went ashore without me and documented a lot. I have to rely on her picture taking ability and I will relate what she saw and experienced. I will be napping. I put the do not disturb sign on our cabin door and that will be that!

This is the Cape Spartel Lighthouse in Tangier, it dates from 1864. Early morning shot creates some shadows, but it is a good picture. I like lighthouses and the missus knows that. We'll see many more in the future weeks.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tour is not one of those get on a bus and ride around things, walking and exploring is the thing to do.

Here, the Cruise Critic group is walking in the Old Medina. Old walls, erected for defense define the area with shops and living quarters right there.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Moroccans call this a street, we might call it a narrow passageway. When the city was built, cars were not a factor. The narrow streets reduced the possibility of raiding marauders making very much headway as they might charge through the city.

The city was clean and neat. Very impressive.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A door! Good grief, who would have thought that we would show a picture of a door.

Take a look at this one. See the peep-hole? Now look how high the mail slot is and how high the hand-shaped knocker is. We saw and lot of incongruities (at least for us) in the doors that we saw.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The group stopped at a shop in the Medina (a chance to sit for a bit) and the herbalist provided a long explanation of what he prepared and how he did it and what advantages there are for using his services. Very informative.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mohammed, the tour guide, explaining all the things to see. He was very personable and he shared his knowledge readily.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A bronze door in Tangier. Behind this door is the restaurant where the tour group had their mid-day meal.

Tomorrow, I'll show the interior.

And then, riding camels.

• anneliese_32
    9 years ago

Even if you cover up the palms, the lighthouse never could be anywhere else but along the southern Mediteranian coast and maybe Spain.
    Of course I liked he door shots and am wondering how children would be able to go in and out. The left door in the street shot also has that high doorknob and mail slot.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Jim, I think your better half did an excellent job both on the photos and the information on her trip.
    Love the doors.
    Re the narrow street, I've seen several of those in my travels.
    They were early security systems.
    As Jim said,. paraphrasing , they were to stop bad guys from entering the buildings.
    From what I was told on my travels, is that they were built to protect the money centers. mostly cash and gold, from robbers.
    We went into an old money center. The high windows/peep-holes were meant to allow the people inside to be able to see out but did not allow the people to see in.
    In one case, I saw steps built into the bottom of the door so people could climb up and see who were outside.

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Reminds me about another thing about Morocco, it is the ultimate destination for Snow Birds. My Swedish relatives used to take their 6 week vacation during the winter months and spend them in Morocco.
    They would send me postcards.

Sponsored
More Discussions