Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Rome, Italy - part 1

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:02

This is the half way point in our 42-day cruise. Some folks took only this half, with the intent of spending lots of time in Italy. Others just took the return to Ft. Lauderdale. As I recall, the turnover was less than 40 passengers.

Cruise ships dock in the town of Civitavecchia, as Rome in not on the water. It takes a bit more than one hour to get into the city, either by auto or bus or train. For those who had been there previously, the train was their first choice.

We had agreed to tour with Jack, one of our Cruise Critic friends, but he cancelled as he was not feeling well (he ended up in the hospital in Sicily for several days and did not get back on the ship). We were on our own. With four others, we hired a taxi. He was not a licensed tour guide, just a taxi driver, thus our cost was low. However, he did not have a good working knowledge of all the whens and whys and such.

I was really bummed, first because of Jack's cancellation and the second because it was raining!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Rome, Italy - part 1

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:04

First stop was St. Peter's. It was not practical for our driver to get us close, he dropped us off about 5 blocks away and we walked. There were thousands of tourists there and it was rainy.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:07

This was a bit closer. The lines to get in were long and we had only 45 minutes to be there.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:10

I did see this interesting building. Even with much research, I cannot determine what is at the top of the stairs - it might be a nunnery. I have figured out the address: Borgo Sonto Spirito 21.

And, of course, a souvenir shop was right there.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:13

As in most of the cities where we visited, they have Hop-On, Hop-Off bus transportation. This photo was taken at St. Peter's Square.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:16

As I stood in the door of a shop (while the missus was spending money), I noted these policia. One has his sash going one way and the other is different. Different colors, too. Very crisp looking.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:19

Since we did not have a tour guide, many things that we saw were not as meaningful. This obelisk in the middle of St. Peter's Square represents something, but I don't know what.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:21

Back in the taxi, we moved on to our next stop. Traffic was horrible as there was some sort of demonstration going on and many streets were blocked.

I did see this as we moved along in the rain.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 10:23

The shop clerk was waiting for customers as she tried to keep dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here