Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Barcelnoa, Spain - part 4

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:29

La Sagrada Familia Basilica was begun in 1882. The completion date has yet to be determined. Ideally, it will be finished in 2026, which is the 100 year anniversary of the death of Antoni Gaudi, the architect. However, I have read that some believe it will take until 2040!

There is a lot to do on and around this structure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Barcelnoa, Spain - part 4

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:31

The style is a combination of Gothic and Art Nouveau. The money for the continuing construction is derived solely from fees charged for admission.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:33

This is a closer view of some of the outside architecture.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:36

A different section of the exterior of La Sagrada Familia. Even with a ticket, the wait in line is about one hour. Generally, tickets need to be purchased 48 hours prior to the desired date and time.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:38

To get a sense of its size, this photo was taken from Mirador Park early morning.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:41

Unless you are on an organized tour, the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus is the best way to get around this busy city. On an Tuesday in November, it seemed crowded at several tourist sites.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:45

An outside menu board. The prices can be changed easily. We had some spicy potatoes, which were good.
One Euro = $1.35 USD, so the garlic prawns would be about $7.50.

o

Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 10:47

A paella restaurant, again with prices that can be written in and changed as necessary.

o

Great photos, Jim.
What amazes me about the architects of old times and how they manage to design buildings that would last a long time and have younger generations add to them. Their math skill and knowledge of material is admirable.
These days, stress tests for some buildings are done by computers.
As a foodie, I luv your menu boards.Especially the Paella board, I want to try every one of them.
Cafe Nova also looks good. Yum.
I like the idea of Hop-On, Hop-Off transportation.
We used them in the Philippines, they were more like a Jitney than a bus.

o

Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 20:01

I spent some time in the Philippines when I was in the Navy in the late 1960s. Jitneys were the way to go. One never knew how many would be along for the ride. It was fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here