Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 6 - 12- 12

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:57

The more I consider the condition of the white men, the more fixed becomes my opinion that, instead of gaining, they have lost much by subjecting themselves to what they call the laws and regulations of civilized societies.

Chief Tomochichi, Creek

The time will soon be here when my grandchild will long for the cry of a loon, the flash of a salmon, the whisper of spruce needles, or the screech of an eagle. But he will not make friends with any of these creatures and when his heart aches with longing he will curse me. Have I done all to keep the air fresh? Have I cared enough about the water? Have I left the eagle to soar in freedom? Have I done everything I could to earn my grandchild's fondness?

Chief Dan George, Tsleil-Waututh Nation

The white man, who possesses this whole vast country from sea to sea, who roams over it at pleasure and lives where he likes, cannot know the cramp we feel in this little spot, with the underlying remembrance of the fact, which you know as well as we, that every foot of what you proudly call America not very long ago belonged to the red man. The Great Spirit gave it to us. There was room for all His many tribes, and all were happy in their freedom.

Washakie, Shoshone

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 6 - 12- 12

It's with dread that I think about the future and what this world will look like when the population grows more and more. There's only one place to go....

Enjoy what little of Nature that's left. Civilization will see that what there is...will go. More and wider Highways, parking lots and garbage dumps. Sounds very dismal.

Our County has started looking at the tree situation. It's basically that if you cut one down, you have to plant at least one more to replace it. At first, developers would cut down large 100 year old Oaks and replace them with something small such as crape myrtles. Then the Powers that Be wised up and told them that wouldn't work.

We are seeing more and more larger trees being planted along busy streets and in parking lots. I hope it continues.

o

I feel sorry for my granddaughter, what will her life be when she is as old as I am?

o

Not to be negative against the Native American philosphy, but I don't agree with the statement below. In my mind, no one "owns" the earth or any part of it. We are stewards of the planet earth, our only home.

"what you proudly call America not very long ago belonged to the red man. The Great Spirit gave it to us. There was room for all His many tribes, and all were happy in their freedom."

Washakie, Shoshone

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here