Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Palma, Mallorca - part 4

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Valldemossa is a town of 2,000+ in the hills above Palma. Although it is a small town, it is a magnet for tourists. Many arrive to see the Charterhouse that was a monastery for Carthusian monks between 1399 and 1835. In the mid 1830's all monasteries were seized by the government.

What makes it especially well-known is this is where Chopin stayed in the winter of 1838-1839 with his lover George Sand (and her two children). The building is now a museum. Much to the chagrin of our tour guide, we elected not to spend that additional $10 admission fee and we all walked around the town.

Comments (13)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The nose of Frederick Chopin (1810 - 1849) has been rubbed for many years.

The author George Sand (1804 - 1876) wrote "A Winter in Mallorca" that was published in 1842. In the book, she wrote wonderful things about the town; however, some of the local folks caused her to write some disparaging remarks.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again, I am amazed at the wonderful work that craftsmen accomplished. This is the rear of a building on a side street in Valldemossa, Mallorca. I noticed that all the shutters were closed. Could it be to keep out prying eyes? Or, were they rentals that we closed for the season (we were there November 13)?

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another fine example of housing in Valldemossa. Most of our Cruise Critic group were looking at other things, while I noticed this.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We walked around the town, as our bus had to park in a designated space. With a town as small as this, there still was a plaza in the center. This restaurant advertising its prices.

Converted to US Dollars:
    Budweiser - $3.25
    Coca-Cola products - $3.10
    Glass of Sangria - $4.75
    Sandwiches - from $5.75 to $6.65
    Fries - $3.40
    We had already had something to eat, so we did not stop.

There were many small shops that were catering to tourists. Of course, we purchased a few things.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As we continued to walk, I noticed that many houses had plaques similar to this. Santa Catalina Thomas (a Valldemossa native) is being asked to bless and protect the house. All had different scenes.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Our last shopping stop was this fabulous store. Confiteria Sweet and Happy Confecionary Store was a great place. Candy was sold by the pound and there were dozens of choices.

I cannot recall how much we spent, but the missus picked hers and I did mine. I believe that some of it actually made it back to the ship!

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did drive up to Belver Castle, but did not enter as they had already closed for the day. We were allowed a 10-minute photo op break.

This is the view of Palma's harbor.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The waterfront in Palma de Mallorca shows the old wall that used to surround the city when it was small.

There are beaches, but they are not near the city center.

Eight of the last nine days have been port days. Tomorrow is a day at sea - lots of rest is needed. Rome is our next port and then Sorrento and Messina and Palermo.

Yes, given the opportunity, we would return to Mallorca for vacation. To eat and enjoy the weather!

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Jim, your photography is fabulous. It makes me want to visit some of the places you have shown far more than any travel leaflet. How many cruises have you and your wife taken to the same places?

Mary

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I keep a list of our cruises on the computer. There are many ports in the Caribbean (including the western part) where we have been lots of times. And, a few on the west coast of Mexico and Hawaii.

On this itinerary, of the 21 ports, we had been to only three (San Juan, Bahamas and St. Maarten). Everything else was new to us.

I had been using a point and shoot camera and decided that I needed something good for this trip. There was a sale at Sam's Club and I went cheap. However, I am thrilled with the results so far.

Here's an add-on photo from the harbor in Palma.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK...I did a spreadsheet on the ports that the missus and I have been to in our almost 19 years together.

86 different ports of call. San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel and Aruba we have been to 5 or more times (for the cruises that began and ended in the same port, I counted only once).

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Wow - that's a lot of ports. DH did a project many years ago on St. Croix. I would love to go there. And then, DH and I could just cruise on around, here and there. Yeah, that sounds great - if only I could convince him. Didn't you recently post that you two had just returned from a month long cruise? To me, if the passenger load was not huge, that would be the way to cruise as you could either stay longer at some of the ports or see more places - however they have it scheduled. I don't think either of us would do well on the cruises that have several thousand people on the ship.

Keep posting those pictures. I may never get to go to any of those places, so I at least can live vicariously through your pictures.

Mary

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary,
    We cruised back-to-back. San Francisco to Hawaii and back (15 days); stayed on the ship and went to Mexico (Sea of Cortez) and back (10 days).

We flew to the west coast from Illinois and spent a few days with my oldest son. After the cruise, we stayed in San Francisco for a few days and then returned on Amtak. We left on 2/14 and got home 3/19.

Sponsored
More Discussions