Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 3

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:32

Still in Ravello, this is the path that leads to Villa Rufolo. We did not go into the villa as it was too early for tours. The villa, built by the Rufolo family, dates to the 13th century; however, it was completely renovated in the 19th century.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Naples, Italy - part 3

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:35

In order to get to that path, one must pass through an arch (similar to what is in the previous photo) that is in a smaller tower. This is the inside of that area.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:36

This is a closer view of the figure in the corner.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:39

I don't read Italian (although I was forced to take Latin in high school), but I do know that this has something to do with the church in town.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:41

Our tour guide - I forget his name. He was knowledgeable and pleasant.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:43

We are back on the road, headed toward the town of Amalfi. We made several stops along the way for photos.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:46

I believe this is a hotel. If it isn't, then someone has a nice home!

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:49

Living on the edge of the Mediterranean. Great views, I guess, I don't know about being there in a storm.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 12:53

No beaches around this part of the Amalfi coast. If you want to bask in the sun, it wouldn't be here. Remember, we were there on November 15, not the tourist season. In fact, many businesses were not open. They intended to open again in March.

We are almost in the town of Amalfi.

Here is a link that might be useful: Again, a look at the map.

o

I just cannot imagine living in a villa such as this one. Guess my mind cannot expand that much....LOL. The third from the last picture is so pretty, Jim.

Keep 'em coming. I love to see your pictures.

Mary

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 16:21

From that home/hotel from a few photos ago, this is at the base of the cliff. Their boat landing.

o

Love the pics and the narratives.
But my favorite is the photo of your tour guide, He seems to be checking his cell phone. One question, and Jim, I don't expect you to know this, but where do they put the cell towers in these small towns? I looked, but I could not see a tower anywhere.
Love the old and new perspective.

o

Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 21:20

Yes, he was checking his phone. I don't recall seeing towers anywhere, but they must have been somewhere. We were in a town when I took that picture, maybe something was there and I just didn't see it.

Later in the cruise we saw many cell towers that were disguised as trees. Very creative and not intrusive like what we have in North America.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here