Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tibs_gw

Enough about socks, what about hose?

tibs
12 years ago

When I started working in an office, if you wore a dress you wore hose. Panty hose, Bare legs were about as acceptable as braless. If you had tan legs, you could go hoseless at casual events. Now it is bare legged. Even in winter, even if you aren't tan. Which I would have loved as a slender young thing. Now I have spider veins, etc and really really want those control top panty hose for the tummy. So do you go hoseless?

Comments (12)

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

Nope, slacks. Big swollen ankles. Don't want them to show, so I hide them.

But if I must wear a skirt. It's panty hose. It has to do with smooth look, the color and hiding imperfections.

• mawheel
    12 years ago

Gosh, I really don't remember the last time I wore a dress! When I did, it was with panty hose. Under slacks, I wear knee highs, usually. Since I'm not a "sun" person, I rarely get my legs/ankles tan enough to look good without the color added by the knee highs.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

I'm pale as pale can be and I wear dresses and skirts often. I think it looks creepy and unnatural for someone my shade to wear "suntan" hose. When it's cold, I wear tights. When it's not, I don't wear any hose... but consider spanx, and spanx-imitators essential.

For the record, I'm no "slender, young thing." ;o)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

Ah, talking about hose. Back in the day, there were silk stockings with a seam in the back. The seams had to be straight so it was constant adjustments. They were held up by corsets.
    They were expensive so they were saved for special occasions.
    As have been said here, bare legs were not acceptable, so people had lines painted down their legs to get an illusion of silk stockings.
    Then came nylon stockings w/o seams and garter belts to hold them in place.
    Then came the panty hose, the best hose invention IMO. I wore them for years in the workplace.
    These days my uniform is a pair of jeans and a T and a pair of comfy sock and sneakers.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

And talking about the "good old days"
    Before nylons, there were rayons. During WWII you couldn't get anything. It was leg makeup with a line drawn down the calf of the leg with an eyebow pencil. I used to have to do my mother's.

Before rayons. Silk and cotton. My granmother wore cotton. They stretch an unbelievable amount.

When I was getting rid of all my grandmother's things, I came across a set of 4 double ended knitting needles. They were no thicker that a darning needle and about 10 inches long. A lethal weapon for sure! Can you imagine knitting a pair of stocking on something like that!

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

lol,agnespuffin,we did not have any rayon or cotton. We used wool yarn.
    In the past, I've used some of the thinnest "double ended knitting needles" or double pointed knitting needles (dpns) and the best spunned wool to make all kinds of garments, but I'm getting old and my fingers are not as nimble as they used to be, so I'm using big needles and big yarn these days.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I don't even wear sox...until the temp goes below 10.
    You can still buy "leg paint"...works like magic to hide all the stuff, have really scrub with soap and water to get it off.
    I remember when stockings came in sizes...I wore an 8 1/2 long.
    Seamless hose were cheaper than those with seams which were "full fashioned"....shaping at the ankle....so until they invented stretch nylon, sometime about mid to late 50's, seamless hose always bagged at the ankle.
    Never wore a "corset" to hold them up...wore a garter belt for a while than got "suspants" which were a stretchy under panty with garters attached....but the hose pulled them down. So even though I was about 98 pounds, and 15 I wore a panty girdle, kept the stockings up and didn't slide down.
    Remember those "window pane heels? And you could get stockings in regular, demi toe and non reinforced heel or barefoot, for wearing with sandals. And the "cheap" girls sometimes work stockings with clocks up the side....or even sequins!!
    Stockings, although rather expensive were sensible because if you ran one leg the other was still fine...if you always bought the same color.
    The first panty hose were not stretchy...not VERY stretchy and bagged and were expensive....saved only for special occasions and a short dress. I think the first stretchy panty hose were Leggs.
    From girdles and garters to bare legs we've come a long way....bring it on!
    Linda C

• lindac
    12 years ago

I don't even wear sox...until the temp goes below 10.
    You can still buy "leg paint"...works like magic to hide all the stuff, have really scrub with soap and water to get it off.
    I remember when stockings came in sizes...I wore an 8 1/2 long.
    Seamless hose were cheaper than those with seams which were "full fashioned"....shaping at the ankle....so until they invented stretch nylon, sometime about mid to late 50's, seamless hose always bagged at the ankle.
    Never wore a "corset" to hold them up...wore a garter belt for a while than got "suspants" which were a stretchy under panty with garters attached....but the hose pulled them down. So even though I was about 98 pounds, and 15 I wore a panty girdle, kept the stockings up and didn't slide down.
    Remember those "window pane heels? And you could get stockings in regular, demi toe and non reinforced heel or barefoot, for wearing with sandals. And the "cheap" girls sometimes work stockings with clocks up the side....or even sequins!!
    Stockings, although rather expensive were sensible because if you ran one leg the other was still fine...if you always bought the same color.
    The first panty hose were not stretchy...not VERY stretchy and bagged and were expensive....saved only for special occasions and a short dress. I think the first stretchy panty hose were Leggs.
    From girdles and garters to bare legs we've come a long way....bring it on!
    Linda C

• natal
    12 years ago

Hose-free with casual skirts, but if it's slightly dressy I spring for the hose. No desire to paint my legs. Tights in the winter.

• agnespuffin
    12 years ago

I have a confession. If I need to have hose for something, I have to get the Husband to put them on me. I don't own a pair of stockings, just panty hose and I can't bend just right to get them on,

Just try and direct a man as to how to get a pair of panty hose on and up. 'taint fun. Isn't worth it either.

• User
    12 years ago

Appropriate song...

Here is a link that might be useful: ZZ Top - Legs (From

• mawheel
    12 years ago

It is a struggle to put on panty hose! First, getting them aligned properly on the feet, pulling them over the ankles, calves (sp.?), and thighs -- then, getting them the rest of the way over the derriere! It ain't easy bein' a lady! :>)

Agnes, God bless your husband. I hope for his --and your sake--you don't have to wear them, very often.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions