Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would YOU do!!

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 14:23

I've started cleaning out clutter. And there is this piece of paper that I have hung on for years.

What would you do with it if you were me?

It's a tattered old piece, about 7X9 inches
A certificate from our local public school system given to my uncle, who was in the first grade. It's dated NOVEMBER 25, 1892
For:
Regular and Punctual Attendance,
Correct Deportment
Diligence in Study

For ONE month.

I'm the only one left in the family, and I will promise you that the month back in 1892 was the last time my uncle was a Good Boy! He was quite a guy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would YOU do!!

Frame it carefully and when you are done with it, donate it to your local genealogy group if they want it. We used to take in all sorts of private momentos from families. Trust me, somebody down the line will find it interesting.

o

Do you have a picture of your uncle?

o

• Posted by Lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 23:36

If you have a picture frame them both together.
Don't just toss it!!

o

Definitely keep it. That is just precious. And if you can write some of the stories you know about him. That would be so great.

o

You may want to look into posting that on a site such as My heritage. There are all kinds of people looking for relatives there, no matter how remote.

o

def frame it and donate it people who love history will some day discover it and be very happy that you saved it

o

The ink is faded a lot now. Wouldn't framing it and exposing it to the light fade it more???

I think I will just ask around places like our Historical Society and the Board of Education to see if they might have a place for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here