Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

What would YOU do!!

agnespuffin
11 years ago

I've started cleaning out clutter. And there is this piece of paper that I have hung on for years.

What would you do with it if you were me?

It's a tattered old piece, about 7X9 inches

A certificate from our local public school system given to my uncle, who was in the first grade. It's dated NOVEMBER 25, 1892

For:

Regular and Punctual Attendance,

Correct Deportment

Diligence in Study

For ONE month.

I'm the only one left in the family, and I will promise you that the month back in 1892 was the last time my uncle was a Good Boy! He was quite a guy!

Comments (7)

• calliope
    11 years ago

Frame it carefully and when you are done with it, donate it to your local genealogy group if they want it. We used to take in all sorts of private momentos from families. Trust me, somebody down the line will find it interesting.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Do you have a picture of your uncle?

• lindac
    11 years ago

If you have a picture frame them both together.
    Don't just toss it!!

• tkhooper
    11 years ago

Definitely keep it. That is just precious. And if you can write some of the stories you know about him. That would be so great.

• west_gardener
    11 years ago

You may want to look into posting that on a site such as My heritage. There are all kinds of people looking for relatives there, no matter how remote.

• maggiemaie
    11 years ago

def frame it and donate it people who love history will some day discover it and be very happy that you saved it

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The ink is faded a lot now. Wouldn't framing it and exposing it to the light fade it more???

I think I will just ask around places like our Historical Society and the Board of Education to see if they might have a place for it.