Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
This weeks Brilliant Idea

Posted by agnespuffin (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 19, 11 at 14:50

This mornings newspaper had a little blurb about the oceans beening overfished.

So the reccommendation was that instead of eating a whole fish, we only eat a 5oz piece.

This will help save the oceans. Think about it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: This weeks Brilliant Idea

Ok, I catch a 500lb Blue Fin Tuna, eat 5oz. The fish is dead, and I'd say it was over fishing for 5oz.

o

I didn't even have to think about it. What, exactly, is one to do with what is left? How does one buy only 5 oz? Silly! I get that they want us reduce the amount we're buying/killing, but a better way to say it must exist? Surely.

o

Maybe they were referring to fish fillets? That whole tuna could be filleted so that the individual servings are smaller.

5 ounces? Whatever happened to the 4 ounce serving?

o

3 ounces of meat are suggested for portion size, it's all we need. So go figure, even those estimates are high. Admittedly, two servings a day. The size of a deck of cards. Not a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: FDA suggested servings pyramid

o

hmmm, I guess I missed the point. If you buy a WHOLE fish, why eat only 5oz? It's dead, it's already been caught. How would it be good for the ocean just to eat 5oz of it?

I don't know abou you, but I either buy a whole fish like a trout or other pan fish, or I get whatever the butcher has already cut off the big DEAD fish, like tuna.

I'm betting that from a money-wise stand point, he has already planned to cut as many potions from that big fish as possible.

o

That's certainly how I took it. Unless, we're supposed to lop off only what we "need" and set him free again? Seems impossible to me!

o

Speaking of lopping off what you need..I was listening to a program on NPR a couple of days ago about sharks. Did you know that 93 million of them are killed each year for their fins? I found that really hard to believe but it's true. I guess shark fin soup is a delicacy and a sign of wealth in several eastern countries. What they do is cut off the fins and then throw the bodies back into the ocean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here