Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry, strawberry, plum...

Posted by meldy_nva z6b VA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 29, 12 at 15:14

jams. Also strawberry-pineapple, and mango-raspberry.

Last month I noticed the jelly shelf was almost bare, so I pulled out the recipe books and put up a few jams from in-season fruit. Early for raspberries but the mangos were on sale.

Coming eventually will be mint, blackberry, peach, golden tomato, grape, apple jelly, and several different pear jams.

I give our wonderful neighbors a jar from each batch; DD & SIL get some at Christmas, and that leaves a jar for us.

Do you have a favorite jam that isn't common in the stores?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry, strawberry, plum...

My aunt in Norway used to make wild cranberry jam. The berries grew on bushes as opposite to "bog" cranberries that we have here in the US. The flavor is much more mellow than the US berries, very little sugar needed.

DD picks blackberries and makes jelly, jam and syrup, with minimum of sugar. Very good.

o

Pomegranate, Pineapple Guava, Persimmon and many kinds of cactus are good.

o

Since I am borderline diabetic and husband only likes occasionally toast and strawberry jelly, I don't make any. The amount we spend on it would not heat the water for the canning.
West gardener, I would appreciate you aunts wild cranberry jam too. We had the same kind of cranberries and I spend many an hour picking them. Other favorite is Sour Cherry marmelade.

o

We used to pick very ripe rose hips, for the vitamin C content. Sometimes we'd eat the red skins and make jams from the fruit.
Other times we'd use the whole fruit.

Below is a link and they call it "ethnic-foods".To us it was survival foods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethnic-foods

o

No, not just survival food. Rosehip jam is heaven, has a lot of vitamin C and if you can find a German store in your neighborhood you still mind find some here. One of my alltime favorite foods my relatives make when I get home is yeast dumplings and rosehip sauce. We also made
rosehip tea from dried rosehips. Just make sure, if you make jam that you half the hips, scrape out the seeds and surronding hairs while wearing rubber gloves and dispose of thatstuff wrapped up tightly, it's the original itching powder (not kidding).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here