Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_1

A long cruise - Almeria, Spain - part 5

jim_1 (Zone 5B)
9 years ago

Court of the Myrtles at Alhambra, Granada, Spain. Another of the wonderful water features at this UNESCO World Heritage Site. The current name comes from the myrtle plants that flank the pool, which is about 100' long. There are fountains at both ends. Chambers are on the upper level.

Comments (14)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another door picture. This is just off the pool area at the Court of the Myrtles.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A niche in the wall of the perimeter of the myrtles pool.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Besides the doors and ceilings, some of the tile work on the floor was great. This is in front of the latticed door from before.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This floor pattern was, if I remember correctly, in the Throne Room. Well worn, it is not roped off. Still, it is wonderful work.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looking up, there are many awesome ceilings. This is in the Hall of the Two Sisters. Many of these rooms, the only significant amount of natural light came from these domed ceilings.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't recall where I took this shot, but the symmetry caught my eye. I don't believe that I saw anything that was not well-balanced. All were delights to the eyes.

I saved about 175 pictures of Alhambra and Generalife Gardens. I would return immediately and see it all over again and try to get to places I did not see. We were there about 3 or 4 hours and I missed a lot.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had never heard of Charles V, but he was a significant person in Spain. I did not know all the whats and whens until I came home and did some research. He was all over the place! He influenced so much of what Spain was and what it became that I am surprised that I was not made aware of his place in Spanish history.

This is the interior courtyard of the Palace of Charles V. It was begun in 1527...and never, ever occupied! This is on the grounds of Alhambra and we were there about 20 minutes, it could have been 2 hours to explore all that was there. It is said that many of the parts of the construction were stolen from other parts of the complex.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I could add another 10 pictures of what we saw at Alhambra, but I don't want to bore you. If you want more, then post something here and I will be delighted to add another bunch. There is only one more site that I had lots and lots of photos and that was in Seville. Many were of Real Alcazar (you really need to put these two places on your 'bucket list).

As we returned to the ship, I took this photo. I asked the missus about lunch that day, and she has no recollection of anything. I don't even recall the ride back to the ship. We were supposed to have some 'free time' in town, but neither of us call recall that! It was a long day, but one that we will remember for many years. I don't usually require this of people, but you must go to Alhambra, it will change your way of thinking about how life was many years ago. The Americas were not 'developed' for many centuries after this part of the world was in full bloom. it was amazing.

A wind farm (again) as we set sail from Almeria after our fantastic visit to Alhambra and Generalife Gardens in Granada, Spain.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As we set sail for Valencia (wow, what a wonderful city). I noticed this buoy (I believe it is called a channel marker) as we left the harbor. Color is wonderful when selecting pictures to share with others.

For many years, I was in the floral business and color, texture, shape and stuff are in my mind. The missus doesn't see thing the same way I do.

This is a simple shot, but it really is (to my mind) a great shot.

Sail-away time, time to get to the Ocean View Bar for drinks and nibbles. And then to bed early for Valencia is only a few hours away!

Anyone have questions?

• west_gardener
    9 years ago

Hi Jim,
    Love your photos and your comments.
    The first pic in this series-(part 5) is absolutely fantastic.
    I get a kick out you combining the old and the new. Take the craftsmanship of the old with the modern wind mills and the buoy.
    Re the domed ceilings with the windows, sometimes the windows were placed to allow light to shine on a specific object within the structure. Go in the morning and one object would have light, go in later and another object would have the light.
    Learned that from my Art History 101 class ,

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks on the photo. I used it when I wrote several articles about this trip. It stands out. Because there are people in the shot, it appears not to have been staged (of course, it wasn't).

This photo is a close up of one of the ceilings. Time has taken its toll, as there used to be more blue. Wonderful work.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If anyone wants to check out some information about light coming through special windows - look up the Cathedral in Palermo. I'll discuss it later, but what was created hundreds of years ago to confirm the spring equinox is amazing!

• kris_zone6
    9 years ago

Jim, I also love the doors. The stonework is amazing, how did they do it back then? It seems that we can't build anything that will last hundreds of years. Love your pics and comments.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is Observation Point of Duraxa. I missed this shot, this is from the missus' camera. Too bad there a people with cameras there.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions