Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Somehow, just doesn't seem appropriate

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 15:28

Turned on TV last night to watch the playoff with the Celtics and the Lakers. Got a bunch of advertising before the game started. One was a jingle with a very catchy happy little tune that began----R--- and S------- funeral Home and Cermations and then went on for about 6 lines of jungle and ended with the line---We make it easy for you. Somehow seems to be in poor taste or maybe I'm being old fashioned but a happy, catchy jingle just doesn't seem like the right advertising for a funeral home and crematory

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Somehow, just doesn't seem appropriate

I remember a local funeral home doing much the same thing, quite a lot of years ago. Read later that their business fell off about 30%, and the downturn was blamed on the ad -- families who had dealt with the firm for many years said just what you did: a happy jingle was *not* appropriate. I'm in agreement, chirpy cheerfulness just doesn't seem respectful for a place providing solemn occasions.

OTOH, I heartily approve of wakes after the remains have been placed, and hope that my wake will be a scene of much cheerfulness and chuckles.

o

Some professions should not advertise on TV at all, funeral homes amongst them. In a nearby city one funeral home had such heartfelt, sincere advertising. Too bad that they were closed down for fraud and abandonment of human remains.

o

I agree that funeral homes should not have catchy, upbeat ads; a death is certainly not a time when most people are feeling happy.

Another ad I've been seeing recently shows a roach crawling around a box of cereal. It turns me off to the point where I would never use the product advertised. (I think it's for a car insurance company; I haven't watched long enough to get the connection!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here