Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Maps (in my mind)

meldy_nva
12 years ago

Waiting to make a left turn at an intersection on the way to get mulch the other day, DH asked if I knew where the road went if we went straight instead. "Yes," I said. Then thought a moment and said, "Probably not."

Even as recently as twenty years ago, you could have blindfolded me and taken me to any spot in the southern or eastern half of the county and as soon as the blindfold was removed, I would know where I was at, how to get home, and where all the intersecting roads went. Now, almost all those old roads have been widened, straightened, bridged, and sometimes re-named. Fields have become subdivisions or townhouse developments or shopping centers.

My mind has a thousand maps and few are of any use now.

Comments (9)

• west_gardener
    12 years ago

I can identify, Meldy. Things change so much and so fast that it is hard to keep up. Just the other day, DH and I went to find a plant nursery in a nearby town and could not find it.I knew we were on the right road because of a crazy bend in the road, but there were condos where the nursery used to be.
    I've elimanted that place from my mind's map.
    It is no wonder that the GPS (global positioning system) is so popular these days. People want to know where they are going.
    I'm into building my brain to be a GPS program, at least locally.

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

My brain did not come equipped with the navigation module to allow room for other system upgrades. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The thousands of maps in my mind are tiny, disjointed, and randomly shuffled. I'm amazed when I cross from one island of familiarity to another. I'm just as often surprised at how they connect, as the angles are not what I'd remembered. Madison is not a big city, and we've been here eight years now, and I still struggle to get around.

One of my sisters is wired the same way. Our brother is our opposite. Once my brother and I drove through a neighborhood in Minneapolis. I'd worked there for years, and he'd visited me once (years prior, in both cases). Guess which one of us successfully navigated by memory. Ugh!

The good news is that I'll never have to lament the loss of my navigational skills: You can't miss what you never had.

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

Thank Goodness, I'm not the only one who now lives in a morass of old roads, old directions and old places.

Latest thing was meeting the kids at a college within 60 miles of us. So much new stuff in that town---new signs--got off at the wrong exit because the signs were so confusing--went through the same 4 stoplights twice on the connecting road trying to figure out what to do AND the clock is ticking away!
    I asked a young lady next to me at the red light, how to get back on track. She said, "Honey, just get back on the south lane and hop off at the next exit!"
    Well, I'm getting more and more upset as I'm deiving and this soothing voice said, "Don't worry; everything will be just fine."
    I calm down as I'm pulling back onto the interstate and who should be right in FRONT of me, but my very own family!!!! All I had to do was follow them!
    Dear God; thank you!

• jazmynsmom
    12 years ago

My brain did not come equipped with the navigation module to allow room for other system upgrades. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

The thousands of maps in my mind are tiny, disjointed, and randomly shuffled. I'm amazed when I cross from one island of familiarity to another. I'm just as often surprised at how they connect, as the angles are not what I'd remembered. Madison is not a big city, and we've been here eight years now, and I still struggle to get around.

One of my sisters is wired the same way. Our brother is our opposite. Once my brother and I drove through a neighborhood in Minneapolis. I'd worked there for years, and he'd visited me once (years prior, in both cases). Guess which one of us successfully navigated by memory. Ugh!

The good news is that I'll never have to lament the loss of my navigational skills: You can't miss what you never had.

• lilod
    12 years ago

I live right off the highway and, when I give directions, people find me right away, but the ones using GPS or other Internet maps/directions always call and want to know where I can be found, they end up in the strangest places.
    I have said if anyone wants to set up a hit on me, I am perfectly safe, they never find me.
    I am glad that UPS and FedEx know exactly where I am - I don't get USPS service, have to go to the P.O. to get my mail.\
    Joann said that if Moses had Map-Quest, he'd still be wandering around in the desert LOL

• Janis_G
    12 years ago

I NEVER get lost!

• kathyjane
    12 years ago

TO JAN:
    GUUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!
    Lil' Abner-atize me!!!

Hey---send that story in for another re-run, babe!

• posieh
    12 years ago

Lost ???? My problem is: if someone tells me to turn right, I will turn left! My kids always say, if I'm driving..."No, Mom, your other left"! I've been this way all my life. In gym class, everyone was out of step except me!
    I really have to stop and think if someone has given me directions or I'll end up on the opposie side of town!

• mawheel
    12 years ago

I'm pretty good at reading maps and/or following directions, (when I write them down), but when giving directions to someone else, I find I make even simple things complicated! Seems as if there's always another tidbit of information to give them, and while it's helpful to me--b/c I already know how to get to wherever it is--it ends up being confusing instead of helpful to them. Of course, that's my problem in general--I talk too much!! :

Sponsored
More Discussions