Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Sedum ground cover.

Posted by ivamae ONT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 16:52

This is very pretty but is overtaking my lawn where it very definitly is not wanted. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? Our city does not allow things like Round Up. Also my age and health does not allow me to try to pull it. I did do that the last couple of years when it was just in a small spot but this year it has spread like crazy.

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Sedum ground cover.

Your city has a law that prohibits using Roundup? What city is that?

o

Try a broad leaf weed killer....round up kills the grass too.
But your city won't allow it?? Really??
Linda C

o

How nice that a city is showing some common sense and consideration for the rest of the world!

But for your question, pulling up yellow sedum (stonecrop) is the recommended solution to control spread. Can you hire some young bodies to do the pulling? You could also pour boiling water over it, carefully use a teakettle or other container with a spout. The water will kill any grass it contacts, but the grass does make a fairly quick comeback.
I've used boiling water to control black medoc (you think the sedum is bad? try a weed that prolifically spreads by both root and seed!) so I can tell you that the steaming water does not seem to injure shrub or tree roots or the soil. A small flamer will do the same thing as boiling water-- you "cook" the leaves and stems, not actually set them on fire. Because the sedum is such a small plant, control is tedious so plan on doing only a square yard of lawn at a time-- take a lot of rest breaks and be assured that it IS possible to succeed in getting rid of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here