Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Musin' on a Monday

Posted by endorphinjunkie z7bAlabama (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 16:54

Been slowly putting my window farming system together. I'm not in a hurry as the sun is in it's summer arc and does not shine directly into my sun room. I'm doing it the low rent route, um, the eco-terrorist, um, eco-friendly way. Recycling cola bottles and old aquarium equipment. Had to buy the net pots, hydroton, and liquid nutrients. It makes for something to do. Thanks, Jazz, for the head up to the window farms website.

I dragged out my seed stash and was shocked that I still have seeds from 1998. Decided to use the wet paper towel and baggie method to see if I can get these seeds to germinate. I'm trying to get several varieties of lettuce, one variety of seedless cucumbers, and a few other leaf vegetables. Will test a few flower seeds too.

Do you know if you do a web search for hydroponics 80% of the hits you will get deal with growing that "undocumented" cash crop? Hmm, I have bought from a few hydroponic online shops. Have I gotten myself on the FBI's watch list? Called a certain friend of mine who works in law enforcement and asked him. He said only those who spend mega bucks usually trip the radar. This is a friend that flies a helicopter and looks for outdoor fields of that "undocumented" cash crop. I didn't mention my heirloom poppies to him. They are some of the most beautiful flowers, really.

Methinks I will try to grow watermelons and pumpkins hydroponically. I don't know it it has been done and frankly don't care. I will use 5 'gallon buckets for this. It's time to plant them outdoors anyway. Timing, for pumpkins anyway, is everything. Don't want them to mature too soon or too late.

I have no garden to speak of this summer. I should do right well come fall and winter though.

So, what do you have in your garden this summer and are you enjoying any of the fruits of your labour?

Seems we have moved from Tornado weather, to drought and now to monsoon season, in the last few months. Thunderstorms in the afternoon are our daily forecast now.

There is a 5K in Athens this Saturday. Will run in it. Saturday afternoon there's a party on the water, at the confluence of the Anderson Creek with the Elk Rivers. It it accessible by boat only. If the weather is nice I will take the sailboat. If the weather is dodgy, I will take the kayak. If it's thundering and/or lightning, I'm stayin' home. It's 50/50 call on the weather this Saturday.

Must run down Abbey's sequel to The Monkey Wrench Gang. Strange, I had to run to a dictionary more often than usual for that last book.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Musin' on a Monday

About 15 years ago one of my sons was looking for organic fertilizer (aka liquid fish fertilizer), could not find any at his usual gardenshop and got a small bottle at a hydrophonic shop. 2 weeks later he got a visit from the local police. No "plants" in the house but a crop of water lilies in large containers next to the porch. They smelled the water in the containers! As luck would have it, he just had fertilized the plants. He got a red-faced excuse and has not been bothered since. Of course that he had long hair and a beard did not help matters, LOL.

o
RE: Musin' on a Monday

Buy the fish emulsion from a reputable source. There are tons of sources out there. Why tweek the system at every opportunity?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here