Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A long cruise - Rome, Italy - part 3

Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:41

The Pantheon was rebuilt by Hadrian in 126 AD. It has been in continuous use since the 7th century. An unusual Roman structure, only the front is traditional, the rest in circular. Santa Maria Rotonda is 142' high and there is a wonderful piazza in front, Piazza della Rotonda.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A long cruise - Rome, Italy - part 3

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:44

This is the fountain in Piazza della Rotonda. There were too many tourists to get a complete shot, so be happy with this part.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:46

This is a view of the rear of the Pantheon. Due to the crowds and since we had a taxi only and not an official tour guide, I saw this before seeing the front of the structure.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:49

Time to eat. We asked our taxi driver to take us to a non-tourist restaurant. He did. This is where we had lunch, while it continued to rain a bit.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:51

The missus and I each ordered a pizza, we should have shared just one. And, of course we had some local red wine. The staff was not accustomed to having English speaking clients, so there was a lot of gesturing and pointing.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:53

The woman who said on my right (I really forget her name -shame on me) had this as her meal. Yum!

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:56

While waiting for our food, I noticed this apartment building entrance nearby. I had to take a photo.
That's an elevator at the top of those steps.

o

Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 18:58

As I entered to see what I could see - I looked up. This is the ceiling on this nothing special apartment building in a non-touristy area of Rome. Way too cool!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here