Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why did I plant so many peas?

Posted by gandle 4 NE (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 19:55

Seems like we spend at least two hours every other day picking and shelling peas. Now I aggree that creamed new potatos and peas is hard to beat but I remember a dish of peas with little dumplings that a mother of a friend of mine used to make. It was delicious. Can't find a recipe on line that sounds like that one. She was Czech so it may have been an old family recipe. Have any of you made fresh garden peas with dumplings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why did I plant so many peas?

You planted so many because you and Leone love them with creamed new potatoes! You are making me hungry. I've never had them with dumplings, but I bet they would be good. Mother always fixed them with new potatoes, too.
Mary

o

Dumplings sound good, haven't had them in a long time. I would likely eat more than would make it into the house if I had the job of picking the peas.

o

• Posted by Jim-1 5b Illinois (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 7:55

No dumplings, although that sounds good. I remember living in Chicago's west suburbs for a few years and my dad (he referred to himself as Bohemian) took us to the Czech restaurants in Berwyn and Cicero. There was nothing on the menu that might be considered low-fat!

Yesterday, I prepared a summer salad using some of my freshly picked peas, herbs from the garden, brown and wild rice and more. Sometimes, ya gotta just open the door of the fridge and start with what is there.

My problem with peas is that many never make it out of the garden. Picked and in the mouth within one minute!

o

Peas and dumplings rang a bell from my childhood memories in Norway.
Bellow is a link to
czech dumplings. My aunt would cook the dumplings in lightly salted water.
She would make a white gravy, add the fresh peas and cook them for a short time. Place the cooked dumplings on top and serve it family style. Yummy.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here