Return to the The Garden Party Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quote 6 - 24- 12

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 20:21

Health is the greatest possession. Contentment is the greatest treasure. Confidence is the greatest friend. Non-being is the greatest joy.
Lao Tzu

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quote 6 - 24- 12

What on this earth does the quote "Non-being is the greatest joy." mean?
Lao Tzu

o

I think I might argue a bit with this one.

Health? Nope, I think the ability to logically think is a much greater possession. Sooo, Mental health, maybe??

And I think that Contentment is a much better friend than Confidence.

And the only thing I can think of that is non-being, would be death. Joy?? well, yeah, maybe if there was a life after death and you ended up in a nice place.

Anyway, thanks for something to make me think a bit. I needed that! LOL

o

• Posted by mwheel East. WV-Z.6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 12 at 7:52

West Gardener, thanks for asking the question that I wondered about, but didn't want to ask! What does "non-being" mean? Agnes, you gave the logical answer, I think.

o

Taoism and Buddhism have a lot in common and I see it as the Nirvana of the later, the complete release, contrary to the Christian belief of live after in heaven.

o

So how does one know that" Non-being is the greatest joy."?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the The Garden Party Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here